Is this MX5 Diff rebuild kit good for my S2 Diff?

Gearboxes, clutches, diffs, wheels & tyres....
rotarypower

Is this MX5 Diff rebuild kit good for my S2 Diff?

Post by rotarypower » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:44 am

So the diff on my S2 needs a rebuild, noisy bearings & a lot of backlash in the drivetrain that I've now isolated to the diff. (got a fully recon driveshaft fitted with all new joints)
I already have the bearings for the axle at the hub ends, but I may as well do the whole lot.

I've hear lots about the diffs being almost identical to MX5s, although in my case 24 spline rather than 26.

https://bofiracing.co.uk/differential-r ... mx5-na-nb/

Unfortunately as usual finding a UK source for parts is difficult, will the bearings & seals & crush tube in the above link be suitable does anyone know?
Or even just the bearings & crush tube?

Cheers
Rich

rotarypower

Re: Is this MX5 Diff rebuild kit good for my S2 Diff?

Post by rotarypower » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:59 am

Okay think I've sussed it:

- The crush tube I got from the MX5 website, according to Mazdatrix this is the same through til 92
- The side carrier bearings I also got from the MX5 website as according to Mazdatrix these are also the same NA through till 92
- The front and rear diff pinion bearings I got from UK Car Parts (who are not based in the UK ironically), I just plugged the Mazda number in and got the bearings they brought up.
- Seals I also got from UK Car parts by putting in the parts number.

Hopefully this is all correct but I guess I'll find out when I strip it down.
It would be so much easier if they published the bearing specifications / sizes etc as well as a parts number.
These users thanked the author rotarypower for the post (total 3):
spirit r (Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:55 pm) • Hobbawobba (Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:01 pm) • myatt1972 (Tue May 12, 2020 11:40 pm)

Return to “Drivetrain, Wheels & Tyres”