More motorsports madness

Post yer pics up ! Let's see what you've got.
jim_chung
Has thanked: 0

More motorsports madness

Post by jim_chung » Wed May 15, 2019 1:56 am

Inspired by the motorsports art of Tim Layzell, I tried my hand at capturing a moment in autosport history in his style.

This is the 1983 24 Hours at Daytona!

Legendary driver AJ Foyt fought through the torrential early Sunday afternoon rain to gain a 4 lap lead over the next GTP class car in his Porsche 935L. Meanwhile the tiny 13B Racing Beat Mazda Rx7 rose through the ranks as attrition claimed 50 of the 79 competitors to win its GTO class as well as placing 3rd overall - the highest finish by a non GTP at Daytona. The race was briefly halted after visibility fell to zero, and when they returned for a final hour of racing, the Rx7 lead the Porsche 935L for a single lap until the Mazda was put back into its place! Years later, AJ Foyt recounts that amongst all his many, many wins (4 Indy 500s and the great 1967 LeMans) this one was his favourite. His dying father persuaded him to race in Daytona and as such desperately wanted to win.

The hilarious thing is that Foyt was not supposed to drive in the Porsche 935L at all, his ride was an Aston Martin which retired early. But the owner of Swap Shop who owned the 935L wanted Foyt's celebrity to promote his business. Fellow team mate, French driver Bob Wollek,
Final1983Daytona.jpg
Final1983Daytona.jpg (171.32 KiB) Viewed 83 times
was incensed when he learned Foyt would take the car out in the rain knowing that Foyt had never driven it or even knew the shift pattern but Foyt was a genius and gave the team an additional 4 lap lead and set the fastest rain lap.
These users thanked the author jim_chung for the post:
Hobbawobba (Sat May 18, 2019 7:23 pm)

Hobbawobba
VIP User
VIP User

Re: More motorsports madness

Post by Hobbawobba » Sat May 18, 2019 7:23 pm

That's pretty cool aye! Something a bit different there :D . I struggle to even do a stick man with my (lack of) skills :lol: