White Fc Convertible

richrx

White Fc Convertible

Post by richrx » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:11 pm

Good morning

I thought I should quickly introduce my new project, bought unseen( what could go wrong) as if I need one with an FB and New baby having arrived in the summer.

It won't be a fast build and in fact I may work on the FB first, I'm just not decided yet.

So the car, I previously owned and then regrettably sold the car 7 years ago (literally to the day when the deal was done) loved every minute, and went everywhere with my now wife, holidays, days out and car shows. So it's a memory form a different time of life.

So when I saw Stu looking to sell on MRC , which I would keep an eye on for this day, I jumped on the opportunity to buy it ...

The plan was the get a train down to collect after it's MOT. So when it failed the MOT and garage refused to fix due to the welding required I realised this was a proper project.

I bought it and paid to get it transported up. Am I mad? You decide -haha-

Just to add...

Previous restoration skills...none
Previous welding skills....none.
Previous bodywork skills...erm
Indoor facilities...erm... Yeah this will go well.

But I do want to learn!

Rich

How it sat with the prev owner...

Home

DKWW2000

Re: White Fc Convertible

Post by DKWW2000 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:53 pm

Well done & congrats...you have doubled the Vert membership on the Forum. Perhaps we are the only 2 with a FB & FC....I do not think the condition has been diagnosed yet or given a medical name (I guess there are lots of other terms/names that would suffice :lol: )
Is it stock or has it been altered?
g-l yay
RX7 FB S3 - RX7 FC TII Vert
Rotaries Previously Owned:-
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander

richrx

Post by richrx » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:21 pm

It's a definate addiction, maybe we need rx7 anonymous... (hp)

So some more pics of the not so good bits...which I know are scratching the surface of the rust issues at best...

Oh it's on its original wheels again, the pics are from the seller...

Rich

ian65

Post by ian65 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:12 pm

nice one Rich, I'd have love to had got that white vert I had on the road but it was too far gone... this will be a nice project if you can get some mot on it and treat it as a rolling restoration... I've still got a few minor items like relays etc knocking about so if you need anything give me a shout.
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

richrx

Post by richrx » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:41 pm

ian65 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:12 pm
nice one Rich, I'd have love to had got that white vert I had on the road but it was too far gone... this will be a nice project if you can get some mot on it and treat it as a rolling restoration... I've still got a few minor items like relays etc knocking about so if you need anything give me a shout.
I think this one is very far gone too. But the sentimental value means I need to save it almost regardless of how bad it is....

How bad can they really be?

Rich

richrx

Post by richrx » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:44 pm

So not much will happen with this, but the car wouldn't idle once it started, first guess was an air leak as it reved fine, I messaged the owner who had taken performance parts off. He suggested a repaired pipe was the source... So a quick 20 mins getting reaquanted with the Fc t2 engine bay and I found this...

Hardly restoration stuff but the car not running and driving annoyed me and while I wait to get the real work started thought I could get it running right..and a further poke around confirms alot of rust...

Oh I ordered a cheap eBay hose.. I'll fit it next week and see the result. A few hoses were also pretty loose so I think that'll be the issue.. I hope at least..

Rich

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:55 pm

Sweeeeet! A new venture :lol:

richrx

Post by richrx » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:37 am

Hobbawobba wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:55 pm
Sweeeeet! A new venture :lol:
Let's hope it's a success ....

DKWW2000

Post by DKWW2000 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:03 am

richrx wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:44 pm
So not much will happen with this, but the car wouldn't idle once it started, first guess was an air leak as it reved fine,

Rich
Rich,
Check the Air Idle Control Valve as they are known problems...................Mine is still Stock so if there is any thing you want to see, I can always take a photo of part if that would help
Pete
RX7 FB S3 - RX7 FC TII Vert
Rotaries Previously Owned:-
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander

richrx

Post by richrx » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:54 pm

DKWW2000 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:03 am
richrx wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:44 pm
So not much will happen with this, but the car wouldn't idle once it started, first guess was an air leak as it reved fine,

Rich
Rich,
Check the Air Idle Control Valve as they are known problems...................Mine is still Stock so if there is any thing you want to see, I can always take a photo of part if that would help
Pete
Yeah I think when it's all back together and air tight I'll look at that too. The split pipe was going directly into the inlet so it would have never idled...

The last owner Stu, said it had a lumpy idle so the air idle valve will probably be on the list...

Rich

P.s I can't find my old haynes, does anyone have a spare manual?