1983 RX7 S2 - Flo

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
DWNUNDR

Re: 1983 RX7 S2 - Flo

Post by DWNUNDR » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:56 pm

you using gas with that welding? if not I suggest you get some.. night and day difference... turn the feed down a little.. bacon sizzling is a good sound haha

Tepper

Post by Tepper » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:23 pm

Thanks for the tips people, I've had a good look over mig-welding.co.uk which is a really good resource. I've been trying out the stitch technique on there as outlined for thin metal. Sadly I am already using gas :oops:

More welding practice ongoing. I've been trying to do a few hours here and there where I can. I started off with 0.8 wire on a Clarke 145 Turbo then moved onto a Sealey Supermig 180 with 0.6 wire. I'm starting to prefer the 0.6 now I'm getting used to it, one of the beads below was when I switched over and you can see it took me a little while to sort out the power settings. I've still got a ways to go before I'll start thinking about the car but I think I'm getting somewhere. I'm not sure whether to be concerned about the amount of brown residue left after welding - I've been using a flap wheel to get back to bright metal before welding and using CO2/Ar gas but that's how it ends up looking. Almost all of the welds in the picture are butt welds on 0.9mm steel as that's what I'll be using on the car. Any feedback is gratefully received :)

DKWW2000

Post by DKWW2000 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:42 pm

That is a lot better than me ...well done. I can Arc & I can gas weld no problem, bought a Mig & could not get on with it...............I was convinced it was faulty until a mate borrowed it & said it was fine & showed me his welds :oops: :oops: :oops:
RX7 FB S3 - RX7 FC TII Vert
Rotaries Previously Owned:-
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander