Project 'Dont fear the rotor'

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
Rexi84

Project 'Dont fear the rotor'

Post by Rexi84 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:49 pm

Thought it was about time i shared my project with everyone, you'll probably recognise the car as i first spied it in the cars for sale section late last year.
On getting it home started stripping the car for some minor rust treating and a blow over to get the panels all colour matching.
Some pics before.

Then it was on to suspension. Ordered a gaz coilover kit waited a month then this arrived.

Got right into it and started fitting the goodies.

Only problem i had was one of the springs on the drivers side rear was catching the inner body but nothing that a block of wood and a lump hammer wouldnt cure.
Once fitted wound down the coilover as low as the car would allow and got it sitting like this.

Decided to change to another set of wheels i had just had cleaned and painted.

Got tyres and put them on, now for the roadtest. Took drive out to some lochs and some nice twisty country roads. The car drives nice bit harsh on not so good roads but il go with that to get it nice and low.

Bumped into a couple of lesser supercars, no match for the gen 1. Haha. Sorry about poor quality photos was using my backup phone, couldnt miss the photo op though.

When i first got the car i ordered a nice retro set of rota rims from america and decided that was the next job.15x8 on back and 15x7 on front.

After trial fitting and playing around with spacers finally got the look i was looking for. 15mm spacers on front to clear coilover and no spacer on back. Got 185 55 tyres stretched on and we were rolling again.

Also fitted a rotary shack quick shift kit, new numberplates gave it a polish and a wash and it was ready for a sunday morning drive out to weston park.

Managed to bag a top ten show car trophy and that takes me up to date with the project so far.

Iv just purchased a set of seats from ebay so as soon as they arrive il get them fitted and post an update.
Sneeky peak of the seats.
'Dont fear the rotor'

TOOL

Re: Project 'Dont fear the rotor'

Post by TOOL » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:43 pm

Looks good dude. It's a really clean example.

Is that using up all the travel in the new shocks or is that all the clearance you had?
Back in sunny France

Rexi84

Post by Rexi84 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:04 pm

Theres still plenty travel left in the shocker, the locking rings are as low as they can go at the moment because they catch the bottom shocker mount.
'Dont fear the rotor'

Lucky

Post by Lucky » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:16 pm

That's a properly fine looking FB 8-) I love the very understated commentary that I suspect belies a hell of a lot of work going on behind the scenes "Nothing a block of wood and a hammer won't cure" :lol:

Steve-A

Post by Steve-A » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Looking good dude :)

Interesting to hear youve got travel left on the rear coilovers and were able to fit them without axel mods. I had to modify the mounts on my axel to get the clearance to the main chassis rails, and massage the inner arch to fit mine. I also had only about 2cm of travel before hitting the bump stops at a similar rear ride height and ended up further modifying the axel.

Any future plans for the car? Gonna make it louder/faster now it's got the looks? :)
Ex-rotor owner exploring the world of pistons and valves....

Chud

Post by Chud » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:44 am

Looking good, she looks proper clean. s(c)
instagram: tymboooo

1980 series 1 RX7
1983 series 2 RX7
1975 RX3 Coupe
1959 VW Splitscreen Kombi "The Queen"
1971 VW Adventurewagen
1966 Porsche 912

Rexi84

Post by Rexi84 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:51 am

I had the spring catching the inner arch too just used a bit of persuasion, everything else just bolted on with no clearence issues. I have hit the bump stops on realy bad roads but average roads dont cause any problems. My plan is to take the car off the road after the summer, pull the engine and thats where im stuck, not sure which way to go, 12a turbo or 13b turbo. Im pulling towards 13b turbo as iv got a peter farrel ecu and charge cooler thats been in the garage a few years and feeling neglected. Either way iv got some templates for porting so quite fancy having a go at porting too. Im a firm believer in window shaking loudness although its quite loud at the moment with the 48 ida and stainless exhaust but it can always be louder :twisted:
'Dont fear the rotor'

MelloYello

Post by MelloYello » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:23 am

Rexi84 wrote:it can always be louder :twisted:
0-0

Sounds like you know your stuff, what is your motor/rotor history?

TOOL

Post by TOOL » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:56 am

[quote="Rexi84"]I have hit the bump stops on realy bad roads but average roads dont cause any problems. /quote]

Take bump stops out. Turn shocks up. Problem solved. :D

Needs to go lower Kiwistylez.

I've gone as far as I can

Back in sunny France

Rexi84

Post by Rexi84 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:47 am

Take the bump stops out, why didnt i think of that, W(p

This is my first rotary car. Done the whole vtec honda thing till i wrote off my integra type r then decided to go straight for a while, no fancy car just a daily driver, didnt last had to have another toy and here she is. My dads a mechanic so have always been into cars from an early age, He liked rotarys before me iv just followed suit. Rotarys to alot of people are the unknown and thats what pushes me on. Get in about it and learn from your mistakes.
'Dont fear the rotor'