1983 RX7 S2 - Flo

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
Tepper

Re: 1983 RX7 S2 - Flo

Post by Tepper » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:50 pm

TOOL wrote:Ummmmm what happened to the bridgey motor?
What bridgey motor? This one will be getting a street port, nothing too silly.

TOOL

Post by TOOL » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:40 pm

Lol. Getting user names mixed up.

As you were.
Back in sunny France

Tepper

Post by Tepper » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:28 pm

Started painting the underside of the car, surprisingly time consuming. Ran out of paint so will have to wait for another tin of POR-15:

Also finished the in-tank pump installation - the kit from Aeromotive seems very good so far, will have to see how it performs:

I need to repair the sender then the tank's all finished. I also need to start thinking about fuel lines, at the moment am leaning towards nylon braided teflon hoses with AN fittings from the tank to the filter then kunifer hard lines running along the original route from the filter to the engine bay. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:17 pm

That is super clean with the fresh coat of POR15 aye! Still keeping an eye on your fuel system too. It's looking quite nice so far. I may quickly and temporarily just set up a surge tank until I can figure out something more permanent and tidier :lol: .

I have also been curious about kunifer as fuel lines. Unsure how well it would hold up compared to other materials? Haven't looked into it yet though

Tepper

Post by Tepper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:07 pm

Hobbawobba wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:17 pm
That is super clean with the fresh coat of POR15 aye! Still keeping an eye on your fuel system too. It's looking quite nice so far. I may quickly and temporarily just set up a surge tank until I can figure out something more permanent and tidier :lol: .

I have also been curious about kunifer as fuel lines. Unsure how well it would hold up compared to other materials? Haven't looked into it yet though
Thanks :) From what I understand kunifer is able to resist corrosion like copper but doesn't work-harden in the same way, making it suitable for stuff like this. The trade off is that it's harder to bend/flare but I'll have to see how I get on!

Got the paint finished on the underside of the car today:

Also finished stripping the new engine down:

In a idiotic display of warped priorities I have been thinking about a stereo for this fine machine, I saw a Hitachi on eBay that looked perfect but it ended up going for £70. I kept watching and eventually snagged another Hitachi for £15 with a pair of Clarion speakers. Much better! I spent some time messing around with it the other day with a view to adding bluetooth and also to replace the illumination bulbs which were all blown. I did think about LEDs but I find they often don't look right in stuff like this. I'll do a full write-up on the stereo when it's finished - I've added a line-in which sounds good but unfortunately this bluetooth board is faulty. I'm also waiting on replacement bulbs.

I don't even know if I'll have space for a stereo if I have to squeeze in extra gauges but we'll have to see. In other news I've bought a fairly industrial piece of engine ventilation equipment to be delivered soon. No going back now -turbo-

Casey

Post by Casey » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:04 am

Some great progress there with the paintwork. Radio mods sound interesting.
KIMI 1 : RX-7 1st Gen "hybrid"; 1983 S2 running gear in a 1985 S3 shell, SORN'd, long term resto project
KIMI 2 : RX-7 1st Gen; 1983 S2, "identical" twin to KIMI 1, on the road :-)
Plus a 2004 Full Bridgeported RX-8 too!

ian65

Post by ian65 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:15 am

great work on your car, it's coming on leaps and bounds. Very interested to see what you're doing with the stereos.
I've got a modern Alpine in my FB and i did have a modern Pioneer in my GTI, both bluetooth and usb and both crap.
I've since swapped the new Pioneer for a KEH-M8000RDS from back in the day when Pioneer made quality gear but it only has the usual fm radio, cassette player and cd multiplayer. I've seen various hacks where people have tried to hack the cd multiplayer lead or the tape head wiring to wire in an aux lead but nothing seems mega successful. Bluetooth or someway to connect a usb would make this old stereo of mine great.... the sound quality is spot on, much better than the modern unit it replaced in my car but I do miss the modern features a bit.

Tepper

Post by Tepper » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:02 pm

Thanks all! Ian the stereo mods that you've seen can be very successful - the ones that don't work are the ones that tap the signal straight onto the tape head, which typically has a pre-amplifier to bring the signal up to line level. Adding a line level signal before the pre-amp will result in massive distortion as you're amplifying a signal to way above where it needs to be. If you tap in after the pre-amplifier and interrupt the signal from the tape head/CD changer it'll sound as good as the original source. The nice thing about these bluetooth boards is that they interrupt the signal for you, so the head unit will function normally until a bluetooth device is paired, at which point it'll cut off the original signal and add the signal from your phone or whatever. I've added a line-in to a number of OEM and aftermarket systems in this way and theyve generally worked very well.

DWNUNDR

Post by DWNUNDR » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:31 pm

love that in tank setup.. shouldve went that route.. only reason I wont is budget is too tight now... haha

looking good

Wires

Post by Wires » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:15 am

Loving the radio mods, modern units just don't suit the interior at all. Mine came with a silver 90's unit that, although good spec for the time, looks so out of place.

I while back I was trying to find a modern unit that would fit and preferably match the yellow cluster as well, closest I found was this:
https://www.amazon.com/JENSEN-JHD1635BT ... B01MQNNFCS