A big THANK YOU to you all!

Daughter of Codge

A big THANK YOU to you all!

Post by Daughter of Codge » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:47 pm

Hi All,

I'm afraid I'm posting bad news. Codge (Dave) passed away yesterday following a year long battle with cancer.

I wanted to let you all know how much you meant to him, this forum was a huge part of his life and he regularly forced me to look at photos and read posts I didn't understand. He loved this forum and made some very firm friendships over the years, there are people on here that I would have preferred to tell in person rather than in a post but it may be some time before I work out who's who in his phone book & e-mails.
If anyone would like details of his funeral please let me know.

p.s. both me and Gus' Mum found it really fitting to see Gus out yesterday having fun with his new Dad, it made us smile.

Best wishes to you all
V.J.

ian65
Admin
Admin

Re: A big THANK YOU to you all!

Post by ian65 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:30 pm

This is just the saddest news. Dave was our anchor on here, our guiding hand and the grandfather of the forum.
We all knew he was very poorly but somehow you never think the day will come when he actually leaves us. Our mate has passed on, what a sad day.

It’s true to say that this forum wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for Dave.

In 2009 he started a thread on the 1st gen page on the MRC forum entitled “How Many 1st Gens Still Running?
Whilst surfing the web one night I came across that thread and joined up and posted… It had been 6 years since I’d owned a 1st gen RX7 but inspired by Daves thread and the forum I bought a copy of the Autotrader and 2 weeks later I was the new owner of a gleaming red series 3.

I was quickly followed onto the MRC 1st gen page by Keith, Dibs, Cliff, Johnny Boy and a few others, all brought in by Daves thread then in 2011
I discovered some free forum software and we started this forum.

Dave has worked tirelessly behind the scenes of this forum for many years as an admin, approving new members, weeding out the spammers and dealing with members queries. The gentle nature of the forum and complete lack of animosity and trolls is down to Daves influence and the way he managed things behind the scenes. Over the last 8 years there’s hardly a day gone by without him logging on and checking the posts and if any admin needed doing.

Of course, Daves interest in the forum came from his love for 1st gen RX7’s, especially his beloved ‘Gus’ bought ‘new’ from a London dealer in 1993, 8 years after it came off the ship from Japan…

By David Nock August 06, 2007, 12:42:14 PM
“One of those great moments in your life. We'd run 1st generations as my wifes daily car from 1984 to 1993 and 'Flash' was getting on a bit, but we'd no intention of changing. Then picked up this rumour that there was an unused 1st Gen somewhere in London. Got the info from the secretary of the RX7 club (as it then was -no interneting then boys!) and went down to see for myself.
There it was in a dealer in Barnet, in a workshop storage area covered in wax as it came off the ship!! Also an absolutely exact match for 'Flash'.
I don't think the price was bad at £9995 in 1993, except it was a bit of a gamble after seven and a half years in store. Also insurance was a real problem. Well we took the gamble and it paid off. I made the dealer thoroughly PDI it, clean and polish it, change all the fluids and the battery. The only problems from storing were early rear pads (2 years on) and clutch plate(3 years on), both of which I'm sure failed due to hard rust deposits on rear discs and flywheel.
The engines been fine, as has the bodywork and really everything else.
There now, that’s a long post from me, but I'll never ever forget coming up the A1 from London one glorious summer evening in 1993, having just bought it. It smelled new for years. What a glorious way to spend money!”

by codge » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:25 pm
"I drove it back from the dealers in London Steve. A great summer evening in June 1993. The wife had to be in School teaching that day; what a shame.

They'd dewaxed it and prepped it for me and changed all the fluids as I requested. Plus a new battery had to go on it. Also we'd asked for the Red Coachline to be put on, to make Gus exactly match Flash, our previous S3

I chose the old A1 rather than the mucky M1 and what a drive. Very little traffic; the smell and feel of a new car. Rolling green dual carriageway....great.

I stopped for fuel and a snack somewhere in a scenic section of road near Peterborough.
As I came out the caff it hit me just how fortunate I (we)'d been to get it. It sat in the evening sun like in the pic above, but absolutely gleaming. That pic is still burned into my memory....and the rubbery/painty smell.

I'm going to pay for that gift from above in the afterlife I guess, 'cos who deserves such a treat?"

It was only Daves illness and his acceptance of its seriousness that forced him to sell Gus in March this year but he’s still been here on the forum, doing his thing, helping out with problems and maintaining his other 1st gen related passion, his first gen register.

He has kept this register of all known UK 1st gen RX7’s since 2008 and it’s been a massive undertaking trying to keep it current what with cars going on and off sorn, being sold, scrapped and exported but the end result is a massively comprehensive database covering practically every UK 1st gen that’s come to notice over the last 11 years.

We’ve all tried to help with new spots and info but ultimately it’s been Daves time and passion that’s made it such a success. He was very anxious that all of this information wasn’t lost and asked if I’d continue his register for him which I readily agreed to do.

Here’s Dave, Cliff and myself having a weekend away in Cheshire in 2011, dragging our wives Ellie, Sue and Sally there to make them listen while we talked RX7’s all night!... Happy times.

Dave wasn’t into the modifying scene although he enjoyed reading other members adventures and build threads. His strength and passion was in running and maintaining a 1st gen in stock condition and the current condition of Gus is testament to his knowledge and mechanical skill. Thankfully much of his knowledge is documented and preserved in the pages of both this forum and the MRC forum.

Dave has been a huge figure in the world of UK 1st gen owners clubs /forums over the years and his passing is a huge loss not only to the 1st gen RX7 community in the UK but also to all of us who considered him our friend. Our thoughts and sympathies go out to Ellie, Vicky and the rest of Daves family and friends.

Thanks for the memories Dave, sleep well mate, we’re going to miss you terribly.
These users thanked the author ian65 for the post (total 6):
DB RX63 (Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:28 pm) • Hobbawobba (Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:46 pm) • Casey (Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:54 pm) • A7RXY (Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:27 pm) • Daughter of Codge (Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:10 pm) • spirit r (Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:42 pm)
1986 Series 3 Elford Turbo
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
New custodian of 'Gus', K plate series 3
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

spirit r
VIP User
VIP User

Post by spirit r » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:10 pm

So sad to hear. My condolences to his family and friends. He was an inspiring character and asset to the community here. Good to see Ian was saving all his remembers and loves.
These users thanked the author spirit r for the post (total 2):
ian65 (Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:17 pm) • Daughter of Codge (Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:11 pm)

myatt1972
VIP User
VIP User

Post by myatt1972 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:49 pm

Such very sad news, Dave will be missed by each and every one of us. Such a wonderful character on the forum and always the voice of wisdom.
My first contact with Dave was on an e-bay listing for an Rx7, Dave had contacted the seller to get some info on the car and his question was on the listing. I thought to myself "who is this bloke asking for car details for his register" It made do a search and thats how I came across MRC. Obviously he aleady had all the details of my car but I was able to give details of some I'd scrapped to help with the register, the rest is history.

Rest in peace my friend, going to miss you mate.
These users thanked the author myatt1972 for the post (total 3):
ian65 (Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:05 pm) • Daughter of Codge (Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:11 pm) • spirit r (Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:42 pm)
Keith...

DB RX63
VIP User
VIP User

Post by DB RX63 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:27 pm

Just devastatingly sad news. Dave was a real gentleman and true enthusiast. A sad loss for his family and his Mazda family.
These users thanked the author DB RX63 for the post (total 2):
ian65 (Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:05 pm) • Daughter of Codge (Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:11 pm)
Met Blue Series 2 Elford Turbo
S3 Rally Car (under Construction - Nearly Finished !)

DKWW2000
VIP User
VIP User

Post by DKWW2000 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:53 am

I never met Dave in person but felt I new him well, we corresponded a lot with PMs & only last week together we helped a FB owner with a badly needed part. He was very helpful in my search for a FB about 5/6 years ago whilst joining the Forum, always had a great sense of humour...........RIP Codge :cry:
These users thanked the author DKWW2000 for the post (total 2):
ian65 (Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:04 pm) • Daughter of Codge (Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:11 pm)
RX7 FB S3 - RX7 FC TII Vert
Rotaries Previously Owned:-
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander

Hobbawobba
VIP User
VIP User

Post by Hobbawobba » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:54 pm

I never actually got to meet Codge either. But still is still extremely sad news aye. I'm not really sure what to say! :( What a great and helpful man he has been towards the RX-7 community. Always had something positive to input and the passion was so clear

Rest in peace, Brother. h:
These users thanked the author Hobbawobba for the post (total 2):
ian65 (Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:59 pm) • Daughter of Codge (Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:12 pm)

KiwiDave
VIP User
VIP User

Post by KiwiDave » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:35 pm

I'm so sorry to read this. I only met him once ... such a nice guy. One of those people that you couldn't help but like.

A big loss for everyone on here. RIP Codge sya
These users thanked the author KiwiDave for the post (total 2):
ian65 (Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:44 pm) • Daughter of Codge (Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:13 pm)
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate AMG

A7RXY
VIP User
VIP User

Post by A7RXY » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:46 am

This is such sad news and I would like to send my condolences to his family.
Although I never meet Dave I would like to think of him as a good friend and had spoken to on the phone.
Dave will always be with us through Gus in the safe hands of Ian.
So RIP Codge a dear friend.
Dibs (Dave Ball)
These users thanked the author A7RXY for the post (total 2):
ian65 (Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:44 pm) • Daughter of Codge (Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:13 pm)

gt_james
VIP User
VIP User
Has thanked: 0

Post by gt_james » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:54 am

Very sorry to hear this news, a real loss to the RX7 FB community. His story of owning Gus is very unique, and I was always very impressed with his register that he kept maintained. It is great to see that Ian is going to keep the register maintained.
These users thanked the author gt_james for the post (total 2):

Return to “Sad News”