Removing front carpet w/out removing dash.

Everything Interior Related.... Trim, Etc...
DeanRX7

Removing front carpet w/out removing dash.

Post by DeanRX7 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:49 am

Can someone please point me in the direction of a thread on how to remove the front carpet from my series 3? I have got the rest of the interior out apart from the dash, which I dont want to remove as everyone mentions how much of a pain it is. I am taking it all out to get cleaned while I get the undercarriage cleaned and rust removed/welded.

And just as someone mentioned, the two rear wheel arches have smallish rust which I will sort as well.

Many thanks.
The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together.

ian65

Re: Removing front carpet w/out removing dash.

Post by ian65 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:36 pm

when you first look at it Dean it looks as if you can't get the carpet out with removing the dash and heater box but it's actually pretty easy and you don't need to take the dash or heater out.
First you need to remove the center console which you may have already done, the area circled in red here....

There is a bracket that sits underneath the radio etc which bolts to the top of the transmission tunnel with 2no bolts.... I think from memory the console bolts to it from each side..... take this bracket out and then remove the foot rest from next to the clutch pedal as it bolts through the carpet.

Once you've done that you will be able to wriggle the carpet free from under the heater box and remove it from the car.
It's a tight fit under the heater box but it will pull out and wriggle back in..... I've done it on a few 1st gens including my silver Elford when I changed the interior from red to grey.

Ian

DeanRX7

Post by DeanRX7 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:43 pm

Legend Ian.....many thanks. I have got to that stage as you guessed but was worried that the two gold bolts with the bracket and trany tunnel connection where not the only points to take off. Once i get that done...welding/suspension gets done plus proper clean on interior. Finally!!!!
The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together.

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:48 pm

Thanks for the post Ian. I thought the dash had to be removed! Might have to get around to this next :D