How do you remove center console/dash bezel?

Everything Interior Related.... Trim, Etc...
Exeon

How do you remove center console/dash bezel?

Post by Exeon » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:03 am

Hey there, I want to remove the center bezel thing to paint it, I'm not sure the name but its a plastic piece thats gray, and goes around the radio, A/C, ashtray, shifter, etc. Does it pop out or? I can post a picture if you don't know what part Im talking about. I looked on the forum and there was an article on removing the dashboard but he alreadybhad it out.
-Exeon 0-0
1984 Rx-7 GSL 3.8L Swap

ian65

Re: How do you remove center console/dash bezel?

Post by ian65 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:42 pm

1. Unscrew the gear lever (shifter) knob
2. Carefully prise up the shifter surround from the end nearest the electric window switches
3. You will then see 2 posi screws, remove them and set aside
4. Pull the ashtray out of the dash and you will see 2 more recessed posi screws..... remove them
5. If you've got a single or double din radio, remove it..... if you've got an old style radio with 2 spindles, pull the knobs off it and undo the nuts.
6. Pull the knobs off the heater sliders.
7. Pull the knobs off the heater fan switch inc the a/c button then undo the nut
8. Above the heater sliders are 2 more posi screws, remove them then use a flat bladed screwdriver to prise down the plastic flap and carefully pull forward the bezel. As you pull it forward, you need to unclip the bulb holder that illuminated the heater controls... it just twists out.
9. The whole bezel should then pull forward and you need to unplug the clock, switches, cigar lighter and another bulb holder.
10. Go very carefully with it... they are fragile things... if it doesn't pull forward, check that you've removed all the screws, especially the ones behind the ash tray drawer that are easy to miss.

Casey

Re: How do you remove center console/dash bezel?

Post by Casey » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:33 pm

Thanks for posting that Ian :D Excellent step by step guide enabling me to easily remove the console to fix my backlight and dodgy radio. As suspected, the aerial lead into the back of the radio was half out. The back light had not been plugged into the console when last removed by someone. All fixed now!

This photo might help others to visualise the steps and position of most of the fixing screws...

KIMI 1 : RX-7 1st Gen "hybrid"; 1983 S2 running gear in a 1985 S3 shell, SORN'd, long term resto project
KIMI 2 : RX-7 1st Gen; 1983 S2, "identical" twin to KIMI 1, on the road :-)
Plus a 2004 Full Bridgeported RX-8 too!