Forum update and functionality

ian65

Forum update and functionality

Post by ian65 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:09 pm

Guys,

thanks to the enthusiasm, time and skill of Casey the forum has been rescued and updated to more or less the latest version and I think it looks great but this hasn't been an easy fix and has taken many hours of Malcolms time to sort.
Since we set it up 7 years ago the forum has never had it's software updated and this had begun to cause issues over the last 6 months, not helped by a server change and me accidentally deleting files I shouldn't have done..... the end result being that we almost lost the forum forever.
Casey has now moved us to a new server, updated the forum to almost the latest version and got us up and running again.
We now need everyone to get on the forum and test it out by posting, linking photos, uploading photos or attachments, sending pm's etc etc.... all the stuff we normally do... then please report back with any glitches you find... that's the only way we will know if it's completely fixed. There's loads of 1st gen related info out on the net and other forums that we can repost on here to try it out.
The forum only exists because of everyones enthusiasm for it so let's give it a real good test and make sure it's 100% working again.

Thanks
Ian

codge

Re: Forum update and functionality

Post by codge » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:36 pm

I seem to be in OK.

I've accessed the admin area.....no new members waiting for approval.

Huge thanks Malcolm old bean. And you Ian for keeping the ball rolling.

Dave

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:18 pm

Sweet. Everything is looking pretty good aye. On both phone and laptop :D . Everything is very quick!! Pictures are all coming up without stretching my screen or cutting the images off. I let a few people know that registrations are working again, so should have 1 or 2 come up now. I haven't had access to Admin CP for a while. Moderator CP all seems to be in place though. Thanks for all the effort aye Malcolm 0-0

Edit: Smileys seem to be working again yay hahaha

Edit again :lol: : I think it could be a good idea to have the "Our Facebook Page" open as a new tab. Rather than taking me away from the forum and into Facebookland

MelloYello

Post by MelloYello » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:13 pm

Thanks to all those who put the time and effort to keep this forum running. Especially Malcolm for his technical know how. Cheers

KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:47 pm

Works better on my phone than before. Quick transitions which is a nice change. yay Will try it on the PC after work this evening.
Huge thanks to Malcolm and Ian aka The IT Crowd.
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate AMG

Casey

Post by Casey » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:18 pm

Wow, that was a fun few days!

I tried the forum upgrade on Thursday, but the hosting company somehow got our account confused and refused to give the support we were entiled to unless we paid £106 (+VAT) per MONTH for a new hosting plan :shock: :shock: :shock:

I pointed out they must be an error and they came back the next day with an apology and offered to move us to a newer platform FOC, which they did this morning. That enabled me to complete the upgrade, although a slight glitch (a known bug in the upgrade process I've now discovered) means that we are running on phpBB 3.2.0, instead of the planned 3.2.2, but that's a fully supported version and waaaaaaaaay better than the 3.0.8 we had been running until 3 days ago.

Ian spotted one issue, which had me puzzled for a while, but I've just fixed that too :)

It was fun, if stressful at times, doing the upgrade ;) - i didn't want to lose the huge body of work that everyone has created :o

I must thank Ian too, for putting his trust in me, giving me all the admin access details I needed, and encouraging me to go ahead with the upgrade, on the basis that it couldn't get a lot worse than where have been for the past couple of months with forum glitches!

The plan now is to check that all is stable and working OK. Please report anything that doesn't seem right and we'll take a look. Once we are happy all is stable, we'll customise the forum a bit to make it a bit more "homely".

I have noted the forum is now quicker and displays a LOT, LOT better on my smartphone, except for the dreaded Photobucket dead links thankfully fine on my patched Chrome browser on my desktop though th:

Really, really pleased with the outcome so far, unless someone finds something I haven't spotted yet...................
KIMI 1 : RX-7 1st Gen "hybrid"; 1983 S2 running gear in a 1985 S3 shell, SORN'd, long term resto project
KIMI 2 : RX-7 1st Gen; 1983 S2, "identical" twin to KIMI 1, on the road :-)
Plus a 2004 Full Bridgeported RX-8 too!

myatt1972

Post by myatt1972 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:52 pm

This is great news, thanks very much Malcolm for all your efforts and everyone else involved, forum looks great and works better than ever on my phone.
Thanks guys 0-0 s(c)
Keith...

TOOL

Post by TOOL » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:43 am

Cheers for all the hard work guys. Btw, ausrotary has gone into meltdown at the moment.

Re functionality, why are my photos displaying rotated 90 degrees?
Back in sunny France

Casey

Post by Casey » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:13 am

TOOL wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:43 am
Re functionality, why are my photos displaying rotated 90 degrees?
This is a well known issue :(

My guess is you are uploading from an iPhone? This is a problem that I've seen for ages on the RX-8 OC forum, which now uses the same phpBB Board software. Something to do with the iPhone not having complete metadata for the picture. It doesn't happen if uploading from a PC or an Android device. I know the guys on the RX-8 OC have been trying to fix it for ages, but I keep seeing them pop up on there, so obviously not fixed completely.

Quote from a phpBB forum:

"This issue occurs when you tilt the camera 90 degrees to take the picture in portrait mode. Cameras have decided to take the "easy way out" and store the image in native landscape format (which it is, since you tilted the camera 90 degrees), and then set the EXIF orientation bit in the resulting JPEG image in the hope that an application will do what the camera should have done in the first place (auto-rotate the image).

Since most cameras don't auto-rotate images, the operation is best accomplished in browsers. Have you contacted Mozilla, Google, or Microsoft to find out when/if they will support EXIF orientation auto-rotation? Or better yet, how about contacting camera manufacturers and ask when they will support auto-rotation of images. This would be a non-issue if cameras did what they should be doing..."

There are some unsupported fixes on the phpBB forums, but I won't be trying any of those until I know the migration hasn't got any other issues.
KIMI 1 : RX-7 1st Gen "hybrid"; 1983 S2 running gear in a 1985 S3 shell, SORN'd, long term resto project
KIMI 2 : RX-7 1st Gen; 1983 S2, "identical" twin to KIMI 1, on the road :-)
Plus a 2004 Full Bridgeported RX-8 too!

TOOL

Post by TOOL » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:52 pm

Yeah, iPhone.
Back in sunny France

Return to “IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT 20.01.18 --- ALL MEMBERS PLEASE READ”