Renesis swap?

Rotary Engine Chat......Got A Problem With Your Rotary Engine.... Need Help...?
rei99

Renesis swap?

Post by rei99 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:00 pm

After some night without sleeping, I read very few things over the Net on it.So I ask here: someone have done it? It's possibile at human price? A Renesis SA22C will be great. :o

ian65

Re: Renesis swap?

Post by ian65 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:02 pm

rei99 wrote:After some night without sleeping, I read very few things over the Net on it.So I ask here: someone have done it? It's possibile at human price? A Renesis SA22C will be great. :o
isn't it suppose to be an unreliable pile of junk?

the 12a is very reliable but there seems to loads of RX8's with blown engines making the cars pretty worthless.... there always seem to be some for sale with blown engines

or have I just imagined it?

Steve-A

Post by Steve-A » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:59 pm

The advantage of a Renesis to me is that it makes 12a bridge port type power levels with standard 12a efficiency. Which in one way does sound good.

But then as you say Ian, they sound do seem to be dropping like flies at the moment. Then again at one stage didn't it seem like that was the case for rx7's when they were owned by the public rather than enthusiasts?
Ex-rotor owner exploring the world of pistons and valves....

Lucky

Post by Lucky » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:30 pm

Certainly a good percentage of RX-8s were owned by idiots who know nothing about cars. Their reliability is pitiful, even worse than 13BT engines. They were essentially built as an emissions engine, and although Mazda strenuously try to evade the isssue, there's probably a reason why the US has a service centre dedicated solely to replacement engines on warranty... and whythey sneakily re-introduced the third OMP injector on later models after excessive apex seal wear led to so many FUBAR engines. Most RX-8s make nowhere near their claimed power bracket when tested either.

TBH, can't see any appeal whatsoever in putting a Renesis engine in any car, even an RX-8. Surely an FC EGI would make far more sense if you must have N/A power, though for the effort involved in the swap anyway, why wouldn't you want a turbo lump?

ian65

Post by ian65 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:13 pm

I've got to say that if I was going to move away from a 12a, the only engine I'd go for would be a turbo 2 13bt..... I wouldn't go for anything N/A...... forced induction all the way for me.

Chud

Post by Chud » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:46 pm

Putting a renesis in an FB is only one step above putting in a piston :oops:
http://www.exile-rotorsport.com

instagram: tymboooo

1980 series 1 - Oldones S4 13BT 395rwhp @ 14psi
1959 VW Splitscreen Kombi "The Queen"

spoddy

Post by spoddy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:02 pm

Lucky wrote:Certainly a good percentage of RX-8s were owned by idiots who know nothing about cars. Their reliability is pitiful, even worse than 13BT engines. They were essentially built as an emissions engine, and although Mazda strenuously try to evade the isssue, there's probably a reason why the US has a service centre dedicated solely to replacement engines on warranty... and whythey sneakily re-introduced the third OMP injector on later models after excessive apex seal wear led to so many FUBAR engines. Most RX-8s make nowhere near their claimed power bracket when tested either.

TBH, can't see any appeal whatsoever in putting a Renesis engine in any car, even an RX-8. Surely an FC EGI would make far more sense if you must have N/A power, though for the effort involved in the swap anyway, why wouldn't you want a turbo lump?

i would agree that rx8's were bought by a percentage of people who enjoyed the image of the car and its rear opening doors and were not clued up on how to look after a rotary engine, i.e. keep the oil topped up and to red line the engine at least once a week. but to say its reliability is pitiful is not very fair.

i own a 2004 which is now nearing 92k and i have never had any engine issues, the problem with the rx8 engines are the ignition coils, which were not great at the start and burnt out thus causing problems. i replaced mine every 30k, the engine runs great :) mazda made revisions to the coils but they are classed as a serviceable item by a lot of owners as disappointing as that sounds, its just the modern build quality of cars, the corner cutting/design of the ignition system etc.

i think too the 5W20 oil they used for rx8's in the USA due to temp differences as compared to the 5W30 oil UK use didn't help matters with engines, they did offer a warranty for engines to 100000 miles or 8 years, which for a rotary is pretty good.

i will say i know nothing about owning an rx7 fb, fc or fd, i just learn things from speaking to a friend who has owned them and knows all about rotaries when i ask questions about the best way to look after my rx8. one problem in the UK was the recalls as most cars have after a new model comes out. for the early rx8s i.e. 2003 and 2004 where the starter was not fast enough to start the engine, this was solved in the 2005 and later models. but for some reason the UK wasn't really doing this as a recall as to it being done in the states and other parts of the world. i got mine replaced a few weeks ago, it starts a lot faster and it will prevent problems later on with hot starting and the engine itself. i also premix as a precaution to provide extra protection for the apex seals something i think all rotary engines can benefit from. so coils and a 1.2kw starter didn't help things really, plus people not red lining the car, babying it etc the worse thing you could do to the engine really.

so in all i think its a great car and has a great engine, been told its as quick as a turbo 2 fc, being an n/a engine and as non turbo will last a lot longer if properly looked after, turbos shortening an engine's life etc. also the handling is great compared to the fd and bare in mind the car is classed as a sports coupe/saloon with its back doors. people were just badly educated on how to look after it compared to a piston engine and i wonder what the remarks would be about the fb, fc and fd would be if they had come out today regarding power and reliability etc.

what has killed the reney engine too is the emissions and high fuel costs, using direct fuel injection will help that and the larger oil sump to house more engine oil will reduce oil running too low problems as oil is the engines life blood. some people just didn't bother checking the oil level and flooded the engine starting, moving a few feet and stopping before the engine is warmed up, not good at all.

i can find out the best way to setup a renesis engine for you rei99 from my mate as he'll know his stuff :)

myatt1972

Post by myatt1972 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:05 pm

Does your mate know much about Rx8 power steering, a friend of mine is having problems, connections under the airbox seem good ???
Sorry for the hijack :roll:
Keith...

spoddy

Post by spoddy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:19 pm

yeah i know the problems mate and so does he :)
i can pm you some help, its just a stupid design fault that's all.

myatt1972

Post by myatt1972 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:29 pm

Any info would be great, pm me anything you have.
I must admit he has owned the car from new (Ithink its an 05) and until the recent power steering problems its been faultless.
Keith...