fed up trying to get her to run properly, 12a elford

Rotary Engine Chat......Got A Problem With Your Rotary Engine.... Need Help...?
rip7

Re: fed up trying to get her to run properly, 12a elford

Post by rip7 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:11 pm

anybody know if this needs to be blanked off [ square shaped port under inlet ports on centre iron] does it go anywhere ? if so where. 84 elford

rip7

Post by rip7 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:57 pm

its me AGAIN .blocked of port with metal puty,put in some core plugs [in replace of o rings] re assembled.manifolds etc. she fired up and sounded nice and smooth .ran for a few minutes.switced her off[ to check water leval] now she wont start for love nor money, had the plugs out and cleaned 4 times.[nice spark] petrol getting in there. SHE DONT EVEN POP OR WANT TO GO. i dont like be in beeten, but it might be time to let some one else solve the case, any rotary gods in essex

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:36 am

Sounds a bit weird.

Maybe worth trying Essex Rotary? :D They seem like decent people from what I've seen

rip7

Post by rip7 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:59 pm

one more go? i will buy some more new plugs/ it could be noah and the great flood, is towing it a bit harsh on my new engine [ apex seals] or should i through some oil down the plug holes and give that a go- if it dont go . essex rotary here i come

DKWW2000

Post by DKWW2000 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:45 pm

In my experience of flooded Rotary Engines (especially NSU & Norton) once it has occurred the plugs get oiled & are never the same after, they look good outside the engine but once back inside under compression only give a very weak spark. The best you can do is soak them in thinners for a couple of hours first & burn of residue.
Do not worry about the trailing plugs too much it is the leading that are the critical ones, most other Rotaries only have 1 plug per housing.
Try turning over for a while without plugs but put a cloth to catch any crap that comes out.
Put cleaned plugs back in once chambers are clear & spay some Easy Start into intake whilst engine is turning, do not stand with your Face to close as it can blow back & remove Facial/Scalp hair -turbo- f-f -turbo-
If she does not fire then there is another issue rdg
Best of Luck
RX7 FB S3 - RX7 FC TII Vert
Rotaries Previously Owned:-
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander

ian65

Post by ian65 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:08 pm

the method I use to clear a flooded FB...
ian65 wrote:either pull the fuse to the fuel pump or lift up the base of the back seat on the passenger side and you'll see the plug for the fuel pump.... unplug it otherwise you'll keep pumping fuel into the engine.
Take the plugs out and spin the engine over on the starter.... it'll spin really quickly with no plugs in and will eject most of the excess/unburnt fuel..... you need to spin it over for quite a few turns to get all the fuel out.
You then need to dry the plugs... I usually hold a plug with a pair of grips or pliers and warm it on a gas ring on the gas cooker.. this evaporates the fuel and dries the plug right up inside.
Put the plugs back in, plug the fuel pump back in, pull the choke out and then try to start the car.... don't touch the throttle while you're trying to start it or you'll flood it again

Casey

Post by Casey » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:26 pm

Hobbawobba wrote:Maybe worth trying Essex Rotary? :D They seem like decent people from what I've seen
I can thoroughly recommend Aston at Essex Rotary. Straightforward and honest, has now worked a lot on FC's, FD's and RX-8's, plus he bought 2 "scrap" FB's not so long a go so he could complete his collection of recent Mazda rotaries. He's a true rotary enthusiast and very trustworthy. Don't be put off by the appearance of his premises in South Ockendon, his workmanship is exemplary in my direct experience of his work on my RX-8.
KIMI 1 : RX-7 1st Gen "hybrid"; 1983 S2 running gear in a 1985 S3 shell, SORN'd, long term resto project
KIMI 2 : RX-7 1st Gen; 1983 S2, "identical" twin to KIMI 1, on the road :-)
Plus a 2004 Full Bridgeported RX-8 too!

rip7

Post by rip7 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:52 pm

tried it all, no go , new plugs, new battery , will try towing if that dont work, i will tow to essex rotary

rip7

Post by rip7 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:48 pm

towed it today, and / / / // / / / /? YES IT WENT . run sweet as a nut, this rotary stuff is all black magic, was felix wankal from mars, the elogical engine, will it go next time? or do i have to wait till its full moon.

Threesevens

Post by Threesevens » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Good news Rip :)