1985 GSL automatic stalling

Rotary Engine Chat......Got A Problem With Your Rotary Engine.... Need Help...?
rtd@fast.net

1985 GSL automatic stalling

Post by rtd@fast.net » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:35 am

Hi All,
I have a 1985 GSL 12A automatic with 38K on it. Took it for a spin the other day, and noticed a slight 'miss', and before I had gone a mile or so, starting losing power. I could coax it just enough to get home.

Up till then, it ran perfectly smooth, idled nicely - just a great car.

So, I replaced the fuel filter, no change.

I can start it, and noticed it would run smooth at 2K, then by itself, the revs would drop to less than 1K, then go back up to the choked rpm. When the engine was warmed up, it ran rough, again to the point of stalling.

When I put it in gear, it shudders to the point of stalling.

The tranny fluid looks clean, might be down a little bit.

I'm thinking a vacuum hose somewhere is leaking.

Any suggestions on the process to follow to figure it out would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any help!

Kirkosaki

Re: 1985 GSL automatic stalling

Post by Kirkosaki » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:50 am

rtd@fast.net wrote:Hi All,
I have a 1985 GSL 12A automatic with 38K on it. Took it for a spin the other day, and noticed a slight 'miss', and before I had gone a mile or so, starting losing power. I could coax it just enough to get home.

Up till then, it ran perfectly smooth, idled nicely - just a great car.

So, I replaced the fuel filter, no change.

I can start it, and noticed it would run smooth at 2K, then by itself, the revs would drop to less than 1K, then go back up to the choked rpm. When the engine was warmed up, it ran rough, again to the point of stalling.

When I put it in gear, it shudders to the point of stalling.

The tranny fluid looks clean, might be down a little bit.

I'm thinking a vacuum hose somewhere is leaking.

Any suggestions on the process to follow to figure it out would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any help!
Hey man. Any news with your car? Has the car been sitting for long periods at a time? With 38k miles? or km's? Because that's super low, even if it's miles.
Did you check your float bowl levels in the carb? Your needle valves could be sticking. Is the exhaust getting really hot? Do you have good fuel flow to the carb bowls? Check you fuel tank. Could be full of debris.
Use soapy water around the rats nest if you suspect a vacuum leak. Hope this helps :P
84 GS-S