engine on the elford is dead

Rotary Engine Chat......Got A Problem With Your Rotary Engine.... Need Help...?
TOOL

Re: engine on the elford is dead

Post by TOOL » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:25 pm

I never thought I would say this but......I agree with Lucky.

There, it's done.

Both Ian's make sense. If you want power go 13B. You'll have to spend a lot more on the rest of the car to keep up with power e.g. Suspension, brakes.
Back in sunny France

apexheid

Post by apexheid » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:21 pm

it's very difficult to found a good 12A housing.
there's plenty of 13B housing from EGI, turbo II and RE around
To find a good machinist to skim 5mm per side dead square flat to match to suit 12A rotor.
It can be done...but cost.. ask around for good reasonably price

apexheid

Post by apexheid » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:39 pm

rip7 wrote:its good to talk.its like brainstorming,so many ideas and views.if it wasnot a elford i would proberly go 13b, but its proberly sacralidge to do this to a rare car. so looks like ians idea is wining, SO FAR . cheers all -turbo-
Yeah it's good to talk..
I'm a rebel and don't like Elford/TWR...Honest, it's pile of god tihs.

Weber/EFI and PP all motor rules my world.
I'm over 50......and young cool dude for my age...

ian65

Post by ian65 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:11 pm

apexheid wrote: I'm a rebel and don't like Elford/TWR...Honest, it's pile of god tihs.
that's nice for us Elford owners to know...... thanks very much for that.
Perhaps you'd like to start a thread on your own car so I can give you my views on that. :roll:
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

apexheid

Post by apexheid » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:45 pm

Oh yeah, there's nothing interesting to tell with my own. . Got the same as everybody. Same old cars and same old shit. What do you want to know? I had been in rotaries games for 40 years. Let you know that I'm no interested in show cars and I'm more in racing machines. Rx7 meets will be great and no thanks from me.sorry dude! Rather to watch British hillclimb championship which is held at SW this weekend.
Peace dude.

rip7

Post by rip7 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:37 pm

the legend is proberly bigger than the car[ abit like elvis ] but you cant hate a elford,[ you can hate elvis] any way i have 2 housings i saved from a moter i tore down last year. so where is the best place for the other bits. keeping the legend alive,

Lucky

Post by Lucky » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:48 pm

TOOL wrote:I never thought I would say this but......I agree with Lucky.

There, it's done.
lol, I never thought you'd say it either :lol: 'S okay, I won't remind you...

As for finding seals and consumables, I guess Atkins are as good a place to start as anywhere

ian65

Post by ian65 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:10 pm

I think the legend was formed back in the day. It's easy to forget that Elfords were developed back in 1980 and hit the roads in 1981........ 34 years ago! Back then, most everyday, mass produced cars were crap...... 160bhp for an Elford turbo was quite a revelation back then..... these days we are spoilt by performance..... even a Eurobox diesel will do 130mph+ back in the early 80's, if you had a car that did over 120mph, you were doing well. I've got 2 modern cars on my drive that would both blow the Elford away, as I'm sure most of us have, but that's to miss the point. It is what it is..... to rubbish it or dismiss it just because cars have got better engineered and more powerful in the last 30 years seems a bit harsh.
I'm sure that if turbo2 13b engines had been available back in 1980, Elfords wouldn't have invested their time and money developing their own turbo version.
I could name a dozen cars from that era that were thought to be the dogs bollocks back then that by todays standards seem antiquated and a bit primitive...... times change and things progress.
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:09 am

apexheid wrote: Rx7 meets will be great and no thanks from me.sorry dude! Rather to watch British hillclimb championship which is held at SW this weekend.
Peace dude.
Why not come to Retro Rides in August then? Car meet at a hillclimb event with awesome racecars :D

I would agree with the others and say an Elford probably wouldn't get too much more power aye. I can see why people would want to keep the 12a though. Personally I'm not too fussed :D

KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:54 am

ian65 wrote:
apexheid wrote: I'm a rebel and don't like Elford/TWR...Honest, it's pile of god tihs.
That's a strong comment to be posting on an enthusiasts forum pal. Would you care to expand on that sentiment just a little more? You can PM me if you like or be a real rebel and post your reply for everyone to see. :roll:
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate AMG