• Welcome to www.RX7fb.com, the premier forum dedicated to the classic Mazda 1st generation RX7 1979 - 1985.... we cover all 1st gen models, SA22c's, FB's, and all cars from stock to fully modified.
  • Whether you're an owner, enthusiast or just have a passing interest in the 1st gen RX7, this is the place to be!.... we have owners cars, projects, restoration & rebuild threads, turbo conversions, 13b engine swaps and loads of fantastic info and chat.
  • We also have the latest adverts for RX7's for sale in the UK together with access to the 1st gen RX7 database which lists all known UK 1st gen RX7's.... did you used to own one of these cars?.... join the forum and find out if it still exists.... only about 200 of these cars remaining now in the UK!
  • We have loads of free downloads such as factory workshop manuals, road tests, press reports and buyers guides.
  • Follow us on Facebook
  • We regularly have forum visitors from across the globe and welcome new members from all countries, worldwide.
  • The forum is absolutely free to join and you are assured of a very warm welcome!..........register now for full access to all areas of the forum!
  • Why wait... Join now!.... www.RX7fb.com....THE dedicated 1st gen RX7 forum.
  • www.RX7fb.com.......keeping the legend alive!!!

RETRORIDES GATHERING 2017 - Sunday 20th August 2017 - click here for details - Retrorides Gathering

www.RX7fb.com • View topic - Oil temp sensor

Oil temp sensor

Rotary Engine Chat......Got A Problem With Your Rotary Engine.... Need Help...?

Re: Oil temp sensor

Postby Hobbawobba » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:13 am

Hmm, I'll have to keep an eye on my temps when I get back on the road. Maybe make some ducting or relocate it

I assume you're getting decent airflow?
Hobbawobba

Postby TOOL » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:48 am

Whats the water temp doing?
Now with 3 rotors
TOOL

Postby MelloYello » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:23 am

The high oil temperature readings i am getting are around 100C degrees and above.

Last night I remove the thermostat located in the cooler which blocks the bypass when up to 65C degrees. I then blocked it with a bolt washer and lock nut.

Big improvement. The oil temperature increase from cold is now much more gradual and seems to be holding around 90C when I am moving and have good air flow.

I still plan to do a trial swap with a cooler that has a proven history, as I believe the cooler may have blockages. Especially if it has not had good flow all this time.
MelloYello

Postby kenwhiteside » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:38 pm

90-100degs is perfect for oil temp. I would not want it any cooler! Jacking the stat in the oil cooler is making warm up slower, this is not really a good thing...

Remember with the beehive cooler your oil temp will be pegged to coolant temperature at a minimum, this is pretty standard in most vehicles these days. Unless you are operating above 130deg I would not worry, this is really only an issue as you will see a drop in oil pressure. Oil temp limit is probably 140ish.
kenwhiteside

Postby KiwiDave » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:52 am

Racing Beat say that oil temperature entering the engine should never be allowed to exceed 205°F. (95°C.)

Obviously, once the oil enters the motor, it will absorb heat then circulate back thru the oil cooler then thru the filter.

So, if your oil temp sensor is on a plate under the filter and you are still seeing temps in excess of the above, the cooler is not doing the job properly.
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate AMG
KiwiDave

Postby KYPREO » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:10 pm

kenwhiteside wrote:90-100degs is perfect for oil temp. I would not want it any cooler! Jacking the stat in the oil cooler is making warm up slower, this is not really a good thing...

Remember with the beehive cooler your oil temp will be pegged to coolant temperature at a minimum, this is pretty standard in most vehicles these days. Unless you are operating above 130deg I would not worry, this is really only an issue as you will see a drop in oil pressure. Oil temp limit is probably 140ish.

To me this perfectly describes why Mazda toyed with a water-oil cooler for 2 years only (but notably not on its 13B GSLSE and 12A turbo models) and promptly threw it in the bin and never used it again.

These water oil coolers ran on the edge for street driven 115hp engines. Anything more demanding and you're pushing 100C, which will kill a rotary engine. The reference to most modern vehicles isn't applicable as, unlike piston engines, rotary engines use oil for cooling.

I would defer to the Racing Beat advice KiwiDave posted
http://www.AusRotary.com
My AusRotary build log: http://ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=89142
My RX7FB build log: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3348
WTB: s3 grey gear boot and gear knob: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3424
KYPREO

Postby KiwiDave » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:56 am

MelloYello wrote:The high oil temperature readings i am getting are around 100C degrees and above.

Last night I remove the thermostat located in the cooler which blocks the bypass when up to 65C degrees. I then blocked it with a bolt washer and lock nut.

Big improvement. The oil temperature increase from cold is now much more gradual and seems to be holding around 90C when I am moving and have good air flow.

I still plan to do a trial swap with a cooler that has a proven history, as I believe the cooler may have blockages. Especially if it has not had good flow all this time.

Have you considered an oil cooler fan? https://www.thinkauto.com/acatalog/On_l ... ts_16.html
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate AMG
KiwiDave

Previous

Return to Rotary Engines....