How to Polish Metal

Got any useful hints or tips on restoring our cars or the parts for it? Please share them here. General stuff only.... please put item specific info in the categories above
DeanRX7

Re: How to Polish Metal

Post by DeanRX7 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:15 pm

Awesome thread....while being miles away from needing polished bits on my 7, I have a great guide to when I start. Not sure the others agree but I think worth the time. Thanks.
The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together.

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:38 am

Nik, have you got any idea where is the best place to buy some supplies if I am to polish an alternator ( :( ) using a Dremel? I've had a little look on http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/ which seems okay. Just wondering if there is a better place :lol:.

This is what came with my Draper version of Dremel :P Thanks to the points system of the job I just left, I got it for free :D

Lucky

Post by Lucky » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:54 am

Ooooh, alternators :shock: There's a horror right there :cry:

To be honest, polishing the alternator on my FD was probably a mistake as well as a truly horrible job. As I've since found out, it's almost impossible to keep it shiny because any polish you use has a nasty habit of getting through the webs and filling the coil windings and stator with gunge. Which isn't ideal, lol. However, if you're going to do it, you probably need some of the little rubber impregnated polishing burrs. They're a standard Dremel-type mandrel mount, but they are expensive for what they are, and sacrificial (they're eroded by the action of polishing so they gradually disappear as you work). Also, I couldn't find any in the UK on a quick search but basically you want something like this; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pcs-Barrel- ... 4867332539

Normal grinder polishing wheels will be too big to get into all the nooks and crannies, so you'll either need to be really patient with the sandpaper, working down to like 1500 grit and then finish off with felt bobs http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Felt-bobs-set ... 2c6adc4357 ....or accept the nadgery bits between the webs won't be very shiny, lol. The official Dremel impregnated polishing wheels http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dremel-520-Im ... 2a2720fa11 are very good but pricey and they're really a last stage when you've got it sanded down well. Sad to tell you, there really isn't going to be any quick way to get it done; it'll be a lot of hand-sanding. I'd suggest a good MP3 player if you haven't already got one :lol:

Worth it while it stays shiny, mind. This was my FD one when I'd finished it;

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:52 pm

Ah sweet as! Thanks, Nik! h: The alternator I've managed to get a hold of has already been polished.. But it is a bit of a quick job by the looks of it and still has casting marks on the corners and crevices. But a good chunk of the hard work has been done already! :lol: I'm not exactly in a rush either :)

Thanks for the reply though bro! I best get sanding! :lol: I'll get some pictures up if I dont mess anything up :? Haha

myatt1972

Post by myatt1972 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:38 pm

Anyone ever had one chrome plated ?
Keith...

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:46 pm

I was thinking chrome also as I used to walk past a platers on the way to work :lol:. But you would need to get it to a fine polished finish anyway, otherwise all the casting marks/ripples would show up in the final product. From what I've read! :? Might shoot them an email and see how much it'd cost just out of curiosity

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:01 pm

Made a bit of progress lately. Since getting rid of all the casting marks I've been flying through. This pic is at 400 grit. It isn't perfect but I'm pretty happy with it so far. Suppose I should start looking for some decent polishing compound/dremel attachments :lol:

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:27 pm

Finally got all the sanding done. There are a few nooks and crannies that were a bit hard getting to. Even with the dremel attachments Nik suggested to me a few posts up. But they shouldn't be too noticeable. Ordered some polishing compound and mops to my new house last week and had to test it out :D

Here is my first stage of the mopping process. Still sussing out my technique but I'm stoked with it so far aye! This is all being done with a dremel from now :twisted:
ImageImage

Th0m4s

Post by Th0m4s » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:42 pm

Amazing work. I'd never ever have the patience for such stuff. I can spend months figuring out technical engine problems but polishing just isn't my world. Totally amazing. W(p
Rotary Engines: Behold the power of two doritos on a stick!

spirit r

Post by spirit r » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:55 pm

Th0m4s wrote:I'd never ever have the patience for such stuff.
You will find out several Fb owner in the forum have the patience for such stuff . Don't know who have infected them?
Andy calling them poser, cause he is the carrier of the antivirus ... :lol: He is also the guy with the most rotary knowlege here same as you.
Thomas