Blast it!

Got any useful hints or tips on restoring our cars or the parts for it? Please share them here. General stuff only.... please put item specific info in the categories above
ian65

Re: Blast it!

Post by ian65 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:04 pm

Casey wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:39 pm
Couldn't resist a "VAT Free" voucher offer at Machine Mart and just lugged home a Clarke version of that cabinet. Might be a while before I can set it up fully, but I already have a bench full of rusty parts that need attention and doing it with wire wheels, etc, was getting to be a chore!
you won't regret it Malcolm, they're great. You need a good compressor though and a water trap/pressure regulator on your airline.
I'm using crushed glass in mine... walnut shells are good for gently removing paint from aluminium and light work but to get heavy rust off stuff the glass is good. I went to a local shotblasting business to see if they sold any blasting medium... they didn't sell stuff but gave me a huge carrier bag of crushed glass anyway.
Here's an inlet elbow that was just cleaned with a wire brush...

and then after I blast cleaned it...

I'm going to do the inlet manifolds next :D

You need a good dust extract on it... I plug our Henry Hoover into the back of my cabinet although that is a bit too powerful.
The media pick up tube also needs anchoring into the bottom of the cabinet or else it will pop up out of the blast media.... it's amazing how fast this thing sucks up the media and the end of the tube clears.

Great fun though, I've got loads of things I want to blast!
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

m swann

Post by m swann » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:05 pm

Currently I have used playground sand ( no salt) for large steel ie rear axle and front crossmember.
Glass for almost all other steel.
Glass and walnut shell mix for aluminum, including rotor housings.
Animal grade baking soda for glass and delicate items ie window trim.
Sometimes a wire wheel is just easier.
When in doubt....hit the gas.
22 7's in the yard makes me a collector...not a redneck.

DWNUNDR

Post by DWNUNDR » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:42 pm

my kids loved using mine to help on the parts cleaning.. the boys were on it.. the girls helped but not as much with the blasting