Rallye Mad Mike

The RealAutoSport RX7 rallye car collection in Oklahoma

Post by Rallye Mad Mike » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:09 pm

2001 Production Class SCCA ClubRally National Champion Driver
2003 Production Class SCCA ProRally National Champion Driver

Rallye Mad Mike

Re: The RealAutoSport RX7 rallye car collection in Oklahoma

Post by Rallye Mad Mike » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:28 pm

Other than replacing the pics online with smaller versions, is there any way to shrink what is viewed here?

jim_chung

Post by jim_chung » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:18 pm

I know photos tell a story, but maybe it would help if you wrote something to explain each photo.

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:20 pm

Awesome! Although that 1 picture made me quite sad haha

MelloYello

Post by MelloYello » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:58 am

Nice to seeing an fb used

Rallye Mad Mike

Post by Rallye Mad Mike » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:59 pm

jim_chung wrote:I know photos tell a story, but maybe it would help if you wrote something to explain each photo.
The white car (we named "Cracker") is a 1984 GSL-SE rallye car I picked up in NorCal in Oct 2015. It was built over a decade ago to replace an RX7 that Jorge Sousa totaled in a flip at the 2001 Gorman Ridge Rally in SoCal.

With intentions of offering it as a rental it entered the RealAutoSport, LLC shop to complete the build, update the cage, replace outdated safety equipment, give the car a 'nut & bolt check,' de-smog it, replace the power steering with manual, fix some fueling/vacuum issues, and then enter it in Rally America's Rally in the 100 Acre Wood last March. Unfortunately, a planned shake down run at that event ended in a surprising flip the first time I put a wheel off. Damage would have been much less severe had the front end and hood not smashed a large, downed tree as the gyration ended up with us upside down off the road. The front bumper, however, was only scraped up a little and is on the car right now.

A spare RX7 shell donated its front clip, roof, fenders, and a lot of other pieces to get the car running in time to return to Missouri for the Rally America Show Me Rally on 1 October. To add some head/helmet room a non sunroof top replaced the original - possibly making ours the only GSL-SE without a sunroof. The plan at Show Me was, again, to make sure the car was 100% and safe to rent out. We were half way through the event when the car inexplicably went straight at a downhill, right hand bend where we landed atop a bunch of young trees. I'd never gone straight off a rallye stage during my 40-year (this year) stage rallye career and had no idea why that happened until we discovered the small piece of the steering shaft to which the original builder had welded a quick disconnect broke and left us in the hands of the Rallye Gods as we went off between two large trees instead of hitting one!

The pic with the vice grips is how we drove the car the 30 miles back to Potosi, MO. Since returning home I had a code certified welder TIG a new quick disconnect stub and we have made close to 30 nominal shake down runs at SCCA rallycross events. Next up for Cracker is either the Tri States Rally in Mesquite, NV next month or SandBlast Rally in Cheraw, SC in early March.

The green car sharing the trailer in one pic is an ex-Rod Millen rallye car and more than likely the last 2WD rallye car to win an overall stage rallye national title (1981 SCCA Pro Rally). That is now my ride and should return to stage rallye competition when Cracker does. More on that car, the T2 powered SA rallye car I've been working on, and the T2 powered FC rallye car I have in the shop on subsequent updates.