Does anyone know anything about this car??

General 1st gen motorsport chat
m swann

Does anyone know anything about this car??

Post by m swann » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:46 pm

Mazda RX-7 group B
Factory date: 1982

Details: Full historic spec RX-7 group B. Strengthened and welded shell. Full OMP cage. Finished in traditional "works" colours. Fitted with original engine just rebuild. Engine running on 48 Weber. 5 speed gearbox. Original group B axle with LSD and watt linkage. MRTE 4 pot front brake calipers. Alloy 2 pot rear brake calipers. Hydraulic handbrake. Bilstein all around. Group B big bore manifold and inox exhaust. Terratrip. Extinguisher. lightweight OMP seats and 5 point harness's. 8 works Enkei wheels. Works PIAA rally lamp pod kit. FIA historic eligible car. This car sounds superb and in the right hands will be very quick and competitive. Nothing to do on it, just rally.

http://www.rallycarsforsale.net/
rally classic young
When in doubt....hit the gas.
22 7's in the yard makes me a collector...not a redneck.

DB RX63

Re: Does anyone know anything about this car??

Post by DB RX63 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:08 pm

It looks the part, but it is difficult to tell if it is a genuine works car, if it is, it is worth in excess of £60,000 GBP.

You would need to find a database of the works cars registrations to find out.
Met Blue Series 2 Elford Turbo
S3 Rally Car (under Construction - Still !)

codge

Post by codge » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:06 pm

I'm a street rider, not a rally man but here's what I know about this car. Apologies for any inaccuracies.

It is car 20 of the 20 Group B cars. Built by MRTE. It was rallying in Belgium in 2010 with another road registration plate.
It appeared at Goodwood Festival of speed in 2010 and Banbridge Show, Northern Ireland 2011.
Some parts from car No.1 was used at some time in No.20.

Find Ian's ebook on here and it is on page 208.

The sellers mobile is a UK No. and I believe the car is based in Cheshire, England

Hope that helps.

DB RX63

Post by DB RX63 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:24 pm

Dave,

I think you are referring to Dave Pavely's car, the Ad that Mr Swann is talking about is of a different car, although you are absolutely right about the GpB Motorsport Car.

DB RX63

Post by DB RX63 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:28 pm

The Ad says:

Full historic spec RX-7 group B. Strengthened and welded shell. Full OMP cage. Finished in traditional "works" colours. Fitted with original engine just rebuild. Engine running on 48 Weber. 5 speed gearbox. Original group B axle with LSD and watt linkage. MRTE 4 pot front brake calipers. Alloy 2 pot rear brake calipers. Hydraulic handbrake. Bilstein all around. Group B big bore manifold and inox exhaust. Terratrip. Extinguisher. lightweight OMP seats and 5 point harness's. 8 works Enkei wheels. Works PIAA rally lamp pod kit. FIA historic eligible car. This car sounds superb and in the right hands will be very quick and competitive. Nothing to do on it, just rally.

It doesn't say that it is a genuine ex-works car though ? Which is what makes me think that it is a replica.

Happy to be proved wrong though, be interesting to see what he is looking for pricewise. The spec is very good with some genuine MRTE parts.

I'd buy it if i could !

DB RX63

Post by DB RX63 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Just spotted a standard shaped dash in one photo, so I'll stick my neck out and say that it is a replica.

Nothing wrong with that, as long as you know what you are buying.

ian65

Post by ian65 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:07 pm

codge

Post by codge » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:27 pm

I don't get this rally car thing at all.

I've now got 1 GB registration number and 2 different Belgian ones......all for the same descriptive advert.
I can see they probably change numbers for different competitions, but which of these 20 Group B cars are still alive and kicking I don't know anymore.

But to my humble eyes it does seem like the real thing this car......??

DB RX63

Post by DB RX63 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Dave,

The Group B Motorsport car was registered in Belgium (I think) reg CJH 710, it was then registered in UK as B20 GPB, one and the same car.

The Ad in the first question was for a car built by a guy called Fabian based in Belgium who built the car last year, he wants around 30,000 Euro's for it. The Reg looks like OZB 283, although it's not clear.

More to the point, why are so many up for sale, are they that bad to run ? I know of around 6 that are up for sale, three are genuine MRTE cars, the others are recently built cars.

This is the Dave Paveley car:

Image UK Reg

Image Belgian Reg

Same car ?

Look closely, there are differences:

Trouble is they all look similar in works colours !

ian65

Post by ian65 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:13 pm

it would be interesting to know how many original MRTE cars remain and where they are.....

this car, if a replica, is a good copy cosmetically ....... I see the doors show Benny Melander and Ingvar Carlsson who also used to drive CJH 710, the Dave Paveley car