Roxy

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
ian65

Re: Roxy

Post by ian65 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:20 pm

It is yes...... it's the only thing that affects the timing etc and the only real protection you have is the wastegate.
That pressure switch detects any boost above 0.1 and activates the solenoid which then blocks off the vac to the automatic advance.... so it isn't actually retarding the timing as such, just stopping it from advancing.
Earlier Elfords with the external pop open wastegate had a more complex ignition control which was usually bolted to the bulkhead hot start assist but when Elfords changed to the more reliable swing arm type wastegate that your car and mine have got, they did away with the 'ignition control unit' and subtly renamed it an 'monitor control unit' which basically did nothing other than put a slow dim on the interior light and had a warning light and buzzer connected to the other 8psi pressure switch. This unit was fixed inside the car to the transmission tunnel so you couldn't see the light or hear the buzzer anyway if your wastegate had stuck and you were overboosting..... a more useful purpose for the 8psi PS would be if it was connected to knock out the leading coil if the boost ran too high then kick it back in once the boost dropped below that level.

kenwhiteside

Post by kenwhiteside » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:22 pm

Well shes all back tgether and ready for the mot, well will be as soon as I sort out the fog light, the relay just buzzes when you switch it!

spoddy

Post by spoddy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:03 pm

wow what a stunner.
looking fantastic mate!

good luck with the test.

kenwhiteside

Post by kenwhiteside » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:10 am

Been pretty busy on the car lately. One thing that I thought may interest the forum is the modification or 'foamectomy' that I have performed on the drivers seat. Its pretty common in MX5 circles so thought I would give it a go on the RX7.

Its is bit of a faff but after cutting all the metal bands that hold the seat cover on you can pull it off to access the foam underneath. I cut it with a hacksaw blade taking about an inch off the height and blending it into the front section.

To get the cover to fit correctly I ran a line of stitching along the loops that secure the cover down to the base. There are metal wires in these that get pulled down to the base with the metal ties. Hard to see but the stitching is shown in the below photos, its red. The just put the cover back on and cable tie it in place.

The end result is below. Much lower and more buckety. Cutting out the foam in the middle of the three cut sections gives the biggest height gain.

I will get one of it installed when I can. I could have pulled the fabric tighter on one of the corners of the base to do a perfect job. At some point I will redo it. In general stoked with the result, much more space and tighter on the but.

kenwhiteside

Post by kenwhiteside » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:20 am

kenwhiteside

Post by kenwhiteside » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:22 am

I had been suffering with a knocking sound from the back end. To add to this the near side wheel had some movement in it like a worn wheel bearing. This was confusing as I replaced the wheel bearing not may miles ago. Advice on the forum was that it could be the diff. Investigating it further I could hear a knocking noise in the diff when wobbling the wheel.

To resolve it I fitted this

Bought of eBay from the states. About the same price as an MX5 torsen without the faff of having to install it into the carrier. Also being a clutch diff it is rebuildable and the aggressiveness can be adjusted. Its in amazing condition. No corrosion anywhere, guessing no rain in California where it came from.

Installed it yesterday and it is smooth and quiet. The clonking noise has gone and there is no more worn wheel bearing wobble in the nearside wheel. Very happy to have this finally sorted!

DB RX63

Post by DB RX63 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:25 am

That's great, an LSD transformed my Elford. Should have been fitted as standard, but a perfect period upgrade for the car.
Met Blue Series 2 Elford Turbo
S3 Rally Car (under Construction - Still !)

kenwhiteside

Post by kenwhiteside » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:38 am

Looking forward to give it a proper 'test' when I unpack the tools from the car. Roundabouts of Sussex beware.