I decided to investigate the source of my coolant loss which has been quietly occurring for some time.. It's nothing really bad, there's never any evidence on the floor after being parked up. It's just a small top up here and there.
But here's the thing. Having swapped the inlet manifold O rings for frost plugs when the new motor went in, I didn't use o rings with the frost plugs, only a little sealant. And I know that a few of you have used o rings in conjunction with frost plugs so the suspicion was always there.
Time to investigate then. Remove carb .
Remove inlet manifold, Evidence right away of some weeping. Also, I shall be making a new gasket all Blue Peter stylee as this one has clearly seen better days ( and I re used it from the old motor anyway)
Note also, the difference in the port height between the gasket and the actual port. More on that later.
This is immediately after removal. I guess that whatever weeps out, evaporates on a hot exhaust manifold anyway. So I'll be needing some O Rings then!
And coolant egress is not just confined to inlet manifold area either ...
I think that is due to swapping out the water pump housing. Either the bolts are not tight enough or the gasket has failed. Further investigation is required. Oh well, it's about time for a coolant change anyway