84GSLSE 13BREW Swap build

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
DWNUNDR

Re: 84GSLSE 13BREW Swap build

Post by DWNUNDR » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:53 am

so jumping forward roughly 11 yrs.. using the story I posted earlier in the intro thread (now below)

My brother inlaw told me they were tearing down the shed at the landfill where it was stored... (1.5yrs ago and it still standing haha) so I was forced to pick it up... brakes seized from sitting, flat tires and weather cracked.. and yes.. mouse nestS... Ill get to that...

we drag it home.. sits in my shop for a month or so.. tired of it being there so I drag it next door and throw it in a farm shed... until a little over a year ago

Well at the time I bought it my wife and I had bought some land, built a building and bought a Meineke Franchise about 6mths before... so funds were well.. not available for a project... I dreamed of doing the 13BREW swap.. well 12yrs later Im laying in bed after knee surgery and scanning craigslist itching to buy something... I see a nice Kawasaki road bike and asked the wife.. "honey heres a smoking deal.."

she says.. "we have NO money and you havent ridden the bike you have in a year.......!"

bummed I stopped looking for bikes and typed in 13brew... yay.. a whole package deal 40mins drive from me... Radiator to Trans... recent rebuild, single turbo, haltech sprint re yada yada.. $3500...

me texting from the bed upstairs to her sitting downstairs with a friend... "Honey I found the perfect motor for my rx7...."

her... "We have no money.... if you want it you can go talk to my mum for a loan.... (I have never spoken to her parent about money she always did)

her again as I come hobbling down the stairs on crutches...

"where are you going???"

Me... "To your mums to chat....." Outside I went on crutches, jumped on the big gravely zero turn and headed next door.... (we live out in the country and the mower allowed me to stretch my leg out) hahha

story comes down that the Mum loved that I would restore/build the car with my kids as her husband wouldve done the same (he was dying and basically bed bound at her house).....

little over a year later I am waiting for a few buddies to swing down and help button up some things... ie electrical and fuel supply... then I can start the process of painting and installing everything back in....

I have a facebook album which has weirdly not posted all the pictures and stuff.. strange and a build thread on rx7forums but I dont go there much... I hope to start a build thread here and update it...

see first few posts for pics after I dragged it over to start the build.. dusty and stuff... washed it and began... I originally found a nest behind the passenger seat in the storage box... cleaned it out...
oldest trying it on for size

a month goes by and it smells like mouse pee... 2 mths go by smell isnt improving... after about 4 mths I said screw this and started digging deep.. found a nest inside the ds vent.. they had come in thru wiper area and made a nest.. luckily vent was closed so thats as far as they made it, but the pee etc had weeped down so out came the dash for a cleansing...

another couple of months go by and it STILL smells... so I start pulling up carpet and find a huge one in the passenger wheel well... miraculously they never ate 1 wire... they had also crawled up into the roof and ate thru the perfect headliner onto BOTH visor.. thats it.. ate nothing else.. pics to follow

Then I decided to take off all the floor sound proofing... well it was piss stained... being I live in Minnesota and it was winter I pushed it outside for the day and that night wheeled it back in...

Well 45 mins later interior totally de-deadened... popped it with a hammer here and there and it came of in chunks...

then it was in with some newer stuff...

DWNUNDR

Post by DWNUNDR » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:02 am

-turbo-

being that I have 4 kids it would be nice to take more than 1 at a time when I go to a car show or out for a hoon... so I decided to source a rear seat.. tough to do in the US especially in black seeing as I was changing my interior to black...

of course after I bought this seat I found one in the lower 48 only for the price of my left testicle... I bought this one from Canada.. huge mistake.. shipping cost me almost more than the damn seat.. went form being $90 to about $170 to ship it.. so I ended up spending about $50 less than the one I found only to come to find out it was a 2nd gen seat and doesnt fit... well not without some fab work... he bought a car with it installed so thought it was a 1st gen one... grrrrrrrr..... it was also red so the vinyl paint wont last but small price to pay... just picked up black seat belts for front and rear last week too... also had to make some custom bracketry... (had been given a home made gokart thing years ago so I hacked some 1inch square tubing off of its frame and went to town with a buddy... (he is in the pic and the one who painted the bay - also owns a 3rd gen)
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image Image Image

DWNUNDR

Post by DWNUNDR » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:13 am

I almost dropped the project and bought this for $8K.. had no engine, fresh paint, new seats, new wheels....... but being from Florida after recent flooding and hurricanes I 2nd guessed the buy.. it is my dream car and I couldve flipped it for $25K.. still kicking myself really but I know I wouldnt have sold it..

so I also decided to paint interior parts, also other parts and chose my color.. ironically it ended up being a color form a family car back in Australia... I was originally wanting the BMW M2 blue from the 2nd episode of The Grand Tour but it needs special equipment and is water based... strange... so I ended up with this... painted in my home workshop... all said and done I will be into the paint for a little under $500
ImageImage
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

DWNUNDR

Post by DWNUNDR » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:26 am

interior painting, engine repaint and started under the car building suspension and custom BBK etc...
Image Image
Image ImageImage
Image Image
ImageImage
Image Image
ImageImage
Image Image
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImage

first attempt at BBK
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Redesign
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImage

DWNUNDR

Post by DWNUNDR » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:36 am

I also built some other small things... some pretty some not so much

rear drop-links and coilovers I pieced together following the design of T3 but for half the price
Image Image
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImage

teaching them some TiG welding...

DWNUNDR

Post by DWNUNDR » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:54 am

some goodies Ill be throwing inside..

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

DWNUNDR

Post by DWNUNDR » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:02 am

Well I think I am pretty much caught up... pretty much how it sits right now...

Hobbawobba
VIP User
VIP User

Post by Hobbawobba » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:05 pm

It's so awesome that the kids are getting involved in this aye! Will be an awesome experience for all. Loving the colour and BBK. Clean as! :D

Tepper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Tepper » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:27 pm

Nice! s(c)

myatt1972
VIP User
VIP User

Post by myatt1972 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:04 pm

Wow lots to take in there, looking awesome s(c)
Keith...

Return to “RX7 Rides and projects”