Green Machine

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
richrx

Green Machine

Post by richrx » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:33 pm

I know i know its a terrible thread title

So i've been looking through a few build threads on here, amazed at some of the work, quality stuff and condition of the cars. I must say it makes me a little ashamed of how my car sits just now, i feel its gone a little backwards in my ownership..or maybe alot backwards.... But thought it was time to put up a build thread to track progress and keep me inspired to bring it back upto speed. I'm not normally a poster,mostly lurking(despite 300odd posts so far) so i will make a concerted effort to make progress on this thread.

Also i like build threads with an idea behind them...i would love race car themed.. But i suppose my theme is budget(have you seen race car part prices). Its not the way i would like to run my car but its how i find myself and I'm sure i can get most things sorted without breaking the bank...

So briefly I took ownership of my Rx7 in April 2013 from Keith after I had been watching the price drop on the original advert to a sum that was hard to say no to... ( already thinking of budget lol )But being on honeymoon in Malaysia made the initial purchase negotiations more interesting thats for sure. Luckily my new wife at the time was as kean as me....

So thats alot of waffle... Have a pic with my new hotlinking skills..

After buying the car in its original condition i happily drove and enjoyed it untill August 2015 when it failed on outer sill rust and an exhaust hanger needing a repair. What i should have done is booked it in asap and got it going again, but i took the decision to put it into a garage for winter and save some monies as my daughter had been born,time and money took a back seat along with the mazda.....

All tucked away

Which brings us to this year... The problem with rust and forgetting about its existance is that...Well it never gets better on its own, so to address this i decided to rebuild the sticking rear calipers, good idea eh?

At least i could do it cheaply and without moving the car. Also with the car 40 miles from home i was struggling with getting to the car. So $20 spend at rock auto on a few sets of seals to ensure i got the right ones and £5 on citric acid i removed the rear calipers and broke them down.

So one job done. Ok next obviously the welding. Until i won headers and mid pipe on ebay.... They were cheap and the original exhaust was blowing from the mid cat and hanging loose. So worth a shot. So 2 days of removing the old system, including air pump and gubbins then refitting the new headers and mid pipe to the original system, which involved cutting and using joining pipes and D clamps. It was very messy, the new parts didnt line up or seal either. It was a total disaster, but after 2 days i wasnt removing it all now. Bugger it i would make it would fit!!!
What i was left with was propery embarrassing but my first attempt at exhaust work. Next time I'll pay the pro's...

Finally the welding. Or more like making up blanking plates for the holes the airpump left .... Another task to redress when i get the time.

So the welding!! Nope, now the window wipers had seized, they were slow before but 18 months in storage ment they wouldn't move except with hand assistance. But by this time the car was now at my house and i could spend 30 mins a time working away at it. So figured i could get on with that while ii hunted down a good welder. The spindle was seized into the threaded part of the drivers side, alot of swearing and one broken plastic clip later i had it all stripped, sanded,lubbed and back together.. I had to order one of these to fix the broken clip

http://www.askthemechanic.co.uk/wipers/ ... ir-channel

By chance i had heard of a local blacksmiths near me with a car ramp, aparantly used by bodyshops to weld, and weld properly, no bodging nonsense... Speaking to iain the owner he used to weld Aston DB5's and Ferrari Dinos so a good start, he done them because there wasnt much blacksmith work, but now does mostly blacksmithing with some car work on the side, he had an 80's vw bus/tank it was big and square and i doubt it would dent if you hit it with a hammer( old skool vw build quality) and a morris minor hidden away too. (no pics unfortunately)

So Iain agreed to weld the sill, no paint though, and sort the exhaust out.. Happy days I'll be MOT'd and on the road within a week i thought.

Since moving down to my current place i'm now at an akward distance from my previous MOT station so i thought I'd try Andy the Honda fanatic at the new place. He's been pretty decent with my current daily fleet ( sadly all Honda) so when he agreed a pre mot check for free i thought that a good idea... Only to find out the backbox was blowing. Ah really? Dissapointed wasn't the right word after all the previos work...

So still no MOT. But a mostly working car and considering the backbox options i might have to bite the bullet and have a custom rear box made up(£220)... So lots of work for a still unroadworthy car....

Future plans... Sort the bodywork, ive got a dent on the front wing, scabby rust patch on the other and the door bottoms arent looking too hot. Infact a lower half respray would probably be required in the future. Sounds worse than it is but will need addressing. Mechanically i would Ideally polly bush all round, new shocks and springs, and ideally carb mods and a better exhaust to release some ponies. And if the engine was to ever need replaced then a large streetport or port big enough to Brap brap .

Thats alot of chat, hopfully not bored everyone or repeated too much of the rubbish I've spouted in the past lol... I'm away to investigate the driver side window motor... Its not going down now despite getting voltage from the switch on both sides...

Rich

ian65

Re: Green Machine

Post by ian65 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:50 pm

stick at it Rich... everything you do to it makes it a better car even it it's not directly related to the problem you started out to fix.
It goes to show how well these cars hide their rust... your car always looks spot on in the photos.... you never know what lurks beneath. Surely someone on here has got a backbox kicking about?

DKWW2000

Post by DKWW2000 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:52 pm

Well done Rich, its all a learning curve & you are learning quick. Do not give up with the Exhaust, I am sure you could do a quick & dirty repair with the aid of some large jubilee clips, gum gum/exhaust paste & a catering size bean/coffee can. They have worked for me many times in the short term s(c)
RX7 FB S3 - RX7 FC TII Vert
Rotaries Previously Owned:-
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander

codge

Post by codge » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:08 pm

Hi Rich, That sill repair looks spot on.

The colour I've got noted for your car is Mazda Opal Green.
The code for the paint is usually just above the battery on a sticker inside the bonnet......I'm not sure what it is for Opal Green; I think W3 but check the underbonnet chart.

The best bet for our old cars these days seems to be get the best match you can find in spray paints from the car accessory shops. That's what I have to do for my K3 Silver paint.

richrx

Post by richrx » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 pm

Thanks for the comments... Kiwidave was good enough to offer me his janspeed box, ideally i was looking for a stock item to bolt on at the flange behind the rear axel rather than go over the rear as the join there looks to be welded but its looking more of a possibility to get it going again...

I think the old exhaust was just too far gone to bodge, i bought proper exhaust repair pipes and it still wouldnt seal, the downpipe to midpipe isnt ideal, its a silicone seal thats keeping it gas tight, long term the wgt system at £500 delivered looks good value. But for now I'll hold out for a cheaper option.

Yeah opal green would describe it perfectly, last time i saw the colour was on amazon at £50 a can!! Can't be many similar colours though...

Photos definetly hide alot of sins, its not a bad car especially underneath but I'm determined to keep it for a long time, probably forever, or untill they stop selling petrol

Rich

ian65

Post by ian65 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:18 pm

you will struggle to get a paint match off the shelf... the paint on your car is over 30 yrs old and will have faded. Take the fuel flap door off, clean it up, take it to a proper automotive auto paint supplier and they will mix some paint to the original paint code and then scan the fuel flap and tint the new paint to match the fuel flap. They will then put it into an aerosol if you want them too.... I pay about £15 a can for that and the colour, being computer matched to the existing paint on the car, is perfect. Dave can probably get away with 'off the shelf' paint on his car because it didn't hit the road until 1993 and has had a pretty cosseted life since so won't be as faded as most other 1st gens out there.

richrx

Post by richrx » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:17 am

Thats a good shout, I'll look into that when it comes paint time. The repairs solid now, you could hit it with a hammer and not dent it :D for now the exhaust is the priority ...

Rich

codge

Post by codge » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:36 am

ian65 wrote:Dave can probably get away with 'off the shelf' paint on his car because it didn't hit the road until 1993 and has had a pretty cosseted life since so won't be as faded as most other 1st gens out there.
Thinking about this, I think the K3 Silver code was also ongoing on other Mazda models, notably MX5.....probably why I can find a match in the accessory shops.

ian65

Post by ian65 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:05 pm

it's not the availability of the paint that's the issue, it's that the paint on the cars will have faded and no longer matches new paint bought off the shelf produced to the paint code

richrx

Post by richrx » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:44 pm

ian65 wrote:it's not the availability of the paint that's the issue, it's that the paint on the cars will have faded and no longer matches new paint bought off the shelf produced to the paint code

A couple of painters have looked at the paint and they all seem to have heart attacks at the thought of matching the panels :lol:

Rich