Green Machine

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
KiwiDave

Re: Green Machine

Post by KiwiDave » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:15 am

richrx wrote:The only news to report after the 70 mile trip to work is a slipping fan belt, but oddly it appears tight, it comes and goes. And at times even at 2k rpm makes a horrible screech, others accelerating from 2k to 7k not a peep... I'm actually considering that it may be a seizing pully rather than the belt... Anyway fimurther investigation required..Rich
If you are still running a viscous cooling fan, it's worth checking that for correct operation.
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate AMG

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:31 pm

Nice work! Bet that felt amazing :D :D

As Dave mentioned above. Check the fan isn't seized up. Could be worth an E-fan upgrade if it is? yay

richrx

Post by richrx » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:39 pm

So since the cars been off the road for winter it's developed a new problem when running. So before i pull anything off I'm looking for any suggestions.

Problem
I first noticed this a week before it came off the road. Once warm and off the choke the idle would sometimes be 750rpm and sometimes 1100rpm. If below 2krpm i applied throttle the engine would miss/hesitate before accelerating. If i tried to pull away the engine would die, unless I gave the throttle a light blip(anything more than 1/8th throttle on the peddle will kill the engine) , then it would drive fine. Once accelerating there is no hesitation from idle through to red line.

The issue definetly feels fuel related like the accelerator pump isnt feeding any additional fuel for off throttle to on throttle. From part open to wot theres no issue. Purely from off throttle to back onto power.

When the choke is opened by any amount the issue dissapears.

Nothing has changed since the problem has started.

It does it both reving in neutral and under load.

Does it sound like a purely carb related issue? Vacuum leak?

Thanks

Rich