Moto-Speed RX7

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
MelloYello

Moto-Speed RX7

Post by MelloYello » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:35 am

NOTE: I have put this entry under "Rides and Project" as I hope to see more of this car, and the owner may join in at some stage.

So last weekend I had the 7 out on a brief cruise around the 'hood, giving it a shake down after some wrenching.
When a guy sticks his head in the passenger window (always a scary event in South London) and says "Nice Car!!, I have one of these"
Of course, after my initial shock, I thank him and pull to the side of the road for a chat - as you do.

"Tell me about yours?" i say with some doubt.....

"Yeah I bought it brand new in 1984" he says proudly.
"It's a Moto-Speed" -hmmm sounds familiar....
"It has a wide body kit" - go on.....
"Came with a turbo" :shock:
"You should check it out some time"

Me - "How about now!"

So the story goes that he bought it new in 1984 at the tender age of 23. He had wanted the black one which was in the showroom, but it had sold. So the dealer did him a good deal of this white one.
But unfortunately he could not get insurance on the turbo'd car so it was removed and the standard NA set up put in place. He still has all the hardware boxed up and on the shelf. Along with the original metal sunroof, which is in the box that the "moonroof" came in.
The owner still has all the paperwork that came with the car which he is more than happy for me to see and copy.
I have offered my help as he would like to get the car back on the road and as it is nearly 20 years since the car has been on the road he does not know where to start.

The overall condition of the car seems to be okay. It sits on a set of staggered 3-piece Compomotive rims. There are some rust issues around the bottom of the windscreen, and near the rear wing. The original hand painted pinstriping and logos are awesome. The interior is standard series 3 and in very good condition.

I managed to take some snaps of it in the garage but space was tight. First thing will be to get it rolling so we can get it out and have a better look over it.

There is more info on the Moto-Speed supplied by KiwiDave here - http://www.rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1258

And we do have another member "Dan no" who also has a Moto-Speed.

Hopefully more info and photos to follow . . . . .

Hobbawobba

Re: Moto-Speed RX7

Post by Hobbawobba » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:04 pm

Definitely need to see more! :o :shock:

codge

Post by codge » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:54 pm

Definitely need more......A reg would be great.

ian65

Post by ian65 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:57 pm

A great find James.... what a cool car... hope the guy joins up on here so we follow the re-commissioning works

myatt1972

Post by myatt1972 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:54 pm

Wow :o what are the chances of bumping into him ! I hope he joins us on here I would love to see this car come back to life !
Keith...