Wires' 12a Turbo

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
Wires

Re: Wires' 12a Turbo

Post by Wires » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:34 pm

Ah, thought as much.

I'm using a jsrcooling one from ebay, reasonably priced and seems good quality.

Few things to consider though: I had to trim the replacement main hoses to get them to fit and the lower left bracket on the rad to get it to clear. The coolant level sensor thread isn't the correct size for so that's currently just got the blank in with the wire grounded. Need to sort that at some point.

A7RXY

Post by A7RXY » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:52 pm

Thanks, it looks like I'm just going to get mine rebuilt.

Dibs

KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:56 am

Wires wrote:Ah, thought as much.

I'm using a jsrcooling one from ebay, reasonably priced and seems good quality.

Few things to consider though: I had to trim the replacement main hoses to get them to fit and the lower left bracket on the rad to get it to clear. The coolant level sensor thread isn't the correct size for so that's currently just got the blank in with the wire grounded. Need to sort that at some point.
Find the correct sized nut for the level sensor and get that welded on to the top of the rad.
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate AMG

Wires

Post by Wires » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:52 am

Good progress is being made, but I've got a question:

I've got two sensors right next to each other on the water pump housing. One has had the wire cut, which I assume is the choke and not required, but the other connects from the loom, similar to the injector connectors, but very slightly different.

I've just replaced all the injector connectors as the were brittle and falling apart, and I know they can be wired up either way. Even though the new connectors is slightly different to this mystery one, it does seem to fit. However not knowing what it is, I don't want to cut the wires and replace it just yet.

Any help would be appreciated. I'll chuck some pics up as well.

Wires

Post by Wires » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:59 am

Cut sensor to the left (in the pic) of the mystery green sensor.

New black connector shown which has a centre groove for the fuel injector, the green one as an off centre part for that groove, but that one still fits.

I'm gonna go with an ECU sensor? Question is, can I just splice the new connectors in any way like the fuel ones or is there a ground/live?

Wires

Post by Wires » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:17 pm

So, engine is back in and it's been fired up today for the first time, however it's running badly. Getting a TPS cal error on the ecu which wasn't there before.

Made a video to show how bad it sounds... Will give my engine builder a bell tomoz, but till then, any ideas. Do I need to set the timing up perhaps?https://youtu.be/gYMby9kMGmc

Wires

Post by Wires » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:07 pm

Reset the TPS sensor in the Microtech software and the cleared the error. Moved the eshaft round to what I think is the tdc mark. There is three, two on the engine side of the pulley and one on the other side, which is the third from left to right.

I checked for the rotor tip passing past the T2 and L2 spark holes and the 3rd mark was the closest to in-between the two, at least I think anyway.

It still ran very similar to the above video, so I'm going to ring the engine builder in the morning, get his wisdom, didn't get a chance today.

Are they meant to sound rough at break in or is it just my timing? We shall hopefully find out soon.

ian65

Post by ian65 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:31 pm

have you checked that the CAS is stabbed in right?
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

Wires

Post by Wires » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:58 pm

I've been reading up on that this evening, will have a check tomoz. It's like these engine always have another part for you to learn about!

MelloYello

Post by MelloYello » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:12 am

Wires wrote:It's like these engines always have another part for you to learn about!
So true