Wires' 12a Turbo

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
Wires

Re: Wires' 12a Turbo

Post by Wires » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:53 am

That they are mate, good spot.

So got it stripped and I dare say this ain't flat:

So a good machine it shall get.

kenwhiteside

Post by kenwhiteside » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:26 pm

Wheels should look good. Thinking of ripoff jr racing wheels on mine so will be keen to see what it looks like.

Wires

Post by Wires » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:29 pm

I looked at the Jr's but the offsets just wouldn't work without going overfenders, which I can't do to this car, it's too nice.

kenwhiteside

Post by kenwhiteside » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:36 pm

That’s the worry. I know some US cars are running 16x8 +20 but reckon its pretty marginal.

Skim that manifold and butter up the gasket with copper based rtv. Should be mint. Sealed up the one on the elford this way. The rtv burns off leaving just the glass fibres that help fill any imperfections.

Got any pics of both wheels lined up on the car for a full side profile?

Wires

Post by Wires » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:01 am

No wheels on pics yet, still waiting on the other 2 to come out of customs, once they do I'll do a test fit.

Manifold has been skimmed, was almost a few mm out at one end, time to get it back on...

Wires

Post by Wires » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:35 pm

So putting everything back together and found out the metal fuel pipe going into the fuel rail has a tiny leak, must have been bent.

Tried patching it with some fuel hose slid over the top, but it's not working.

So, what is this part called and where can I get one or a similar circular connector to attach a hose to?

Edit: banjo, that's the bloody name.

So I used a hose clamp instead of the cable ties as they just didn't have enough force and it seems to be holding for now. Will get some hose and a replace banjo bolt ordered and fix it proper. Just want to start it and check for exhaust leaks.

Image Image

Wires

Post by Wires » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:18 am

So still getting some exhaust leaks, stripped most of it back down at the weekend to apply some copper rtv, I noticed some oil residue on the intake, only on the two outer paths. The turbo has very marginal play on the bearing, but I would expect some, no signs of the fans touching the housing.

Would you guys expect this?

ian65

Post by ian65 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:54 pm

The turbo spindle runs in a film of oil which takes some of the play... but you will get a bit of play... if it was excessive the seals would leak and it would smoke... to test your seals pour some meths into the oil inlet at the top of turbo and see if it leaks out past the spindle seals into the hot or cold side... if your seals ok the meths shouldn’t get past them
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

Wires

Post by Wires » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:55 am

So turbo sealed checked, nothing came through.

Replaced the turbo to manifold gasket as well as it was looking a little worse for wear.

Copper based sealant applied to every surface, everything put back together for the umpteenth time... and its still blowing :|

I took extra time to ensure it went on as straight as possible, supported the exhaust with the jack to take the weight off and gradually torquing up each bolt in a cross pattern as I went.

I think its from the main manifold that was skimmed, from what I could feel.

Trying to decide my next point of attack: do you think the gaskets there might need replacing, they were supplied new with the engine rebuild but I suppose the could have compressed badly from the first fit?

This car is such a test of my patience.

MelloYello

Post by MelloYello » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:03 am

Have you got a photo of your gasket.

And then a photo of your engine block showing exhaust ports.