Wires' 12a Turbo

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
Wires

Wires' 12a Turbo

Post by Wires » Tue May 02, 2017 12:29 pm

Hey ya'll, thought I'd make a home for my car's updates and problems all in one place.

Got some new photos to hopefully get some attention as well :)

I picked the car up and the end of last summer, it's a 85 with 64k on the clock. It had quite a bit done to it before I bought it, I've also had a few issues with it overheating and loosing power in the past which you can read about here:
http://www.rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3634

That thread in short: The car overheated once and lost power at a controlled rate till it would cut out. I thought the old rad was the issue so I switched it out for a new one including the main hoses and a new rad cap. Also put a new fan on as the old one was drawing too much power and burning the fuse out and melting the fuse holder. I thought the problem was fixed but it did happen again on a short journey a few weeks later. I let it sit for an hour, it started fine and got me the last few miles home.

The car has been sat through winter whilst I waited for the nicer weather and lighter nights to appear to get back to it.

After hooking up the laptop to the ecu, the water temp was reading as an error - so I put a new sensor which did nothing. I then put a new wire from the sensor to the correct pin on the ecu harness and it seemed to fix it. However the error state seems to be coming back intermittently now.

I swapped out the rear fuel filter and it was full of crap, drained some fuel from the tank underneath which looked OK, so I'll probably have that off at some point, but fuel is getting through to the engine bay fine. I've got fuel pressure gauge on the way so will check all that in the next few days. Might be time to drop the tank and give it a full inspection soon regardless.

The interior was always the part of the car that didnt sit right for me, so it all came out for a full re-trim (if anyone wants the old grey chequered material in great condition, gimme a shout) so set about stripping the old shag pile carpet out, got the kick plate in front of the ecu powder coated along with a floor plate for the passenger footwell whilst I try to source a new carpet. Also added a front chin spoiler with some custom brackets to make the front end look a bit lower but it a retro jdm style.

Finally got the interior back in time for a test run on Saturday before Japfest at Silverstone on Sunday 30th April, which was meant to be it's big reveal...

The test drive down to the petrol station went fine, seemed to be running ok. However Sunday morning first thing, it started to stutter badly about a mile from the house, I managed to get her back where she died and wouldn't start again. I tried switching the front fuel filter out for another clear one, just to see if it was flowing OK but no difference. that filter didn't have any crap in it either. I could have taken one of the other cars to the show but I was so disheartened I just went back to bed.

So now it wont start, there's a bit of white smoke out the back as well when I try to crank it, but I've read that can be common?

So it's time to start checking spark, fuel compression etc when I get some time. Any pro tips for the compression check?

If any of the west midlands lot fancy a visit over for free coffee/tea/beer to help out I'd gladly appreciate it, I also got a shed load of spares with the car including a gear box and one spare of every interior switch... just saying ;)

In the mean time, here's the spec list and some photos of how good she looks, despite being stuck on the drive!

Spec List

Re-built engine by RX motors - only a few thousand miles on it over the previous owners 15 year ownership.

MicroTech LT8 ECU
Gilmer drive
Whiteline Strut brace
triple core rad
electric fan

TII front subframe and steering rack with HKS coilovers
Uprated rear shocks & springs
TII 4 pot brakes and 5x114 hubs
16" Rota Grid and Grid V on the rears
Toyo Proxes all round
LSD

TII fuel pump:
Output pressure: 71.1 - 92.4
Feeding capacity: 132 - 198 lph

TII oil cooler

Injectors
720cc x2 primary
850cc x 2 secondary

Series 5 Turbo ht18s-2sf
Blitz Boost Controller
Respray in a lighter blue metallic
Front chin spoiler

Custom interior with full leather re-trim with basket weave
momo protipo steering whee
aftermarket shifter and gear gaiter

Pics:

host images

ian65

Re: Wires' 12a Turbo

Post by ian65 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:39 pm

Good call to start a build thread to keep all your car info in one place.
I take it you're running 2 fuel pumps? one as a lift pump and the other as a main plus a swirl pot? If so, are both pumps running ok?
This is a great car but as you say it's hardly been used over the last few years so its bound to have some niggles... they need to be used!
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

Wires

Post by Wires » Tue May 02, 2017 2:13 pm

Two pumps, but no swirl pot, however I'm not going to track the car anymore, just take it to shows and drive the thing!
Fuel pressure gauge is out for delivery today, so that'll get hooked up first.

TOOL

Post by TOOL » Tue May 02, 2017 3:44 pm

Check leading plugs too
Back in sunny France

ian65

Post by ian65 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:45 pm

TOOL wrote:Check leading plugs too
Yes, didn't he used to have a problem with the plugs oiling up on this car?
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

DKWW2000

Post by DKWW2000 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:03 pm

ian65 wrote:
TOOL wrote:Check leading plugs too
Yes, didn't he used to have a problem with the plugs oiling up on this car?
What plugs are you using?
RX7 FB S3 - RX7 FC TII Vert
Rotaries Previously Owned:-
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander

Wires

Post by Wires » Thu May 04, 2017 11:10 pm

So I pulled the plugs tonight, fair bit of carbon build up and a touch of oil. Gave the a clean and compared them to the bag of old spares that came with the car and they were all fairly blacked up.

Got them back in the car and she fired up. Really wanted to take her out for for a thrashing, but ran out of time. Still need to get the lap top out and check the running temp. Hopefully get round to that on sat and do some more testing.

Ian65, was the owner once on these forums a while back?

Pic of the plugs below, old spares on the right:

TOOL

Post by TOOL » Fri May 05, 2017 3:04 am

The injectors are pretty big but what are you using for oil supply, OMP?

Looks like too much oil. Plugs fouled heavily judging from low quality pic. Defo need fresh plugs.

Does it sit idling a lot? I suspect it has. That's not helping at all.

Need to see decent pics of your set up.
Back in sunny France

Wires

Post by Wires » Fri May 05, 2017 9:01 am

Updated the image with a larger one.

I'm running the OMP and Protek-R premix as well. I put that in knowing I was going to get a full tank of fuel just a few minutes down the road, but I reckon it has over done it.

I'm slowly starting to learn the ways of the rotary, so I appreciate any help along the way.

shot of the engine bay:

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Fri May 05, 2017 3:23 pm

Nice update aye. I like what you've been up to :D. When I get my welding done and passed MOT, I'll pop up and say hi! Might not be for a month or so though aye