Black Elford Turbo

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
Threesevens

Re: Black Elford Turbo

Post by Threesevens » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:47 pm

Thanks Rip,

Great info and I will start to get together the kit you suggested.
It is a tough call about doing the engine bay. I have spent a load of money buying the car, restoring the bodywork, and now the engine.
If I had the tools and the space the decision would easier but I have never of these. Plus I am having a new hip in January so I am limited to what I can do myself in the near future.
So I have to pay someone to do it for me.
Will give it some further thought
Cheers
Kev

DKWW2000

Post by DKWW2000 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:50 pm

Kev, how is your car coming on, any progress on its completion?
I would wait on the engine re-build once you are up & running once body work completed, get to know your car, drive it & feel confident with it, meanwhile you can get the spare Keg rebuilt ready for a engine swap/engine bay tidy, this could be done during a the winter.
RX7 FB S3 - RX7 FC TII Vert
Rotaries Previously Owned:-
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander

Threesevens

Post by Threesevens » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:56 pm

As far as the engine is concerned it runs well and was pulling strongly before it went to the restorers.
Tool did a compression test for me when I got the car initially and the results were in the 6's.
As with a lot of our cars it smoked when you first started but once warm it cleared and ran great without a murmur.
I need to get a new clutch fitted and I thought it would be good timing to slot the engine at the same time, before the final repaint.

Rexi84

Post by Rexi84 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:02 pm

I've just read this thread from the start, this is been messed about to epic proportions! I wouldn't sleep until the job was done if deadlines were looming, some people surprise me. Im not suprised he had no money if he can't meet deadlines! Hopefully you can get back on track with everything and start enjoying ownership again.
'Dont fear the rotor'

Threesevens

Post by Threesevens » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:07 pm

Threesevens wrote:Thanks Rip,

Great info and I will start to get together the kit you suggested.
It is a tough call about doing the engine bay. I have spent a load of money buying the car, restoring the bodywork, and now the engine.
If I had the tools and the space the decision would easier but I have never of these. Plus I am having a new hip in January so I am limited to what I can do myself in the near future.
So I have to pay someone to do it for me.
Will give it some further thought
Cheers
Kev
Is the sump different on an elford compared to a standard engine. I will need to get a new sump gasket regardless as my one needs replacing. Do you know where i can source one?

ian65

Post by ian65 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:32 pm

don't use a gasket, it'll leak..... Elfords didn't use a gasket either when they converted the engines..... bond the sump on with RTV silicone as I described in my previous post.
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

Threesevens

Post by Threesevens » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:50 pm

ian65 wrote:don't use a gasket, it'll leak..... Elfords didn't use a gasket either when they converted the engines..... bond the sump on with RTV silicone as I described in my previous post.
Hi Ian, I don't recall seeing it, did you make that previous post within this thread or elsewhere?

ian65

Post by ian65 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:53 pm

ian65 wrote:
Kev,
you'll need an exhaust manifold gasket from Rockauto, an inlet gasket and 'O' rings from Mazda, some Garrett turbo gaskets and 20mm stainless core plugs off Ebay...

you will also need some RTV silicone to bond the Elford sump onto your replacement engine, some proper exhaust paste ( not that crap Holts stuff) and some copper crush washers for the oil feed pipe banjo's.
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

Threesevens

Post by Threesevens » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:11 pm

Hi Ian,

Thanks.
I think I got confused as I initially thought the post with the photo's originally came from Rip.
Thanks again

Threesevens

Post by Threesevens » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:26 pm

Hi Ian,
Been on Rock Auto's website.
I can't find that part no.
I have found part no.0374680
I presume you found yours ok. Can you you see if you can get me the link to the part