Tweety and Sylvester, Two RX7s are better than one!

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
gt_james

Tweety and Sylvester, Two RX7s are better than one!

Post by gt_james » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:56 pm

I now have two RX7s! :roll:

I picked up the white car last weekend, it's got a Tweetie bird sticker in the window so I thought why not Tweetie and Sylvester :lol:

I'm very happy with Tweetie, Jay the old owner is a motorsport mechanic and really knows his stuff, he's building a 12A powered imp! He's obviously spent a lot of time and effort on Tweetie, it's a clean car and It's right up my street with the coilovers and wheels.

It's had welding done in the usual places, but is now looking clean underneath. It's had a decent looking respray in frost white, although the engine bay is still in original silver. The interior is very clean and the red/brown is growing on me and I think suits it. I'd say it's better condition than Sylvester, but I feel both are good for the age, I'm not fussed on concourse cars, I like to use them and like to modify them!

The wheels are 15x8, it's got FC coilovers. On the front it's got an internal threaded sleeve welded to the stock spindle to allow the coilover body to thread into, and has the stock top mounts. The rear has modified strut tops on the body, to accommodate the FC coilovers. The rear spring rates are too high, I will be ordering some 175Ib springs which will hopefully make the right a bit less stiff. The engine is all standard, running the air pump still. The exhaust is standard with a Janspeed back box with shotgun pipes. The rear screen is off an earlier car without the wiper hole and the front screen was replaced when it was resprayed.

There's a couple of minor jobs to do, but Tweetie seems pretty much all there and ready to have some fun with. The rear springs need changing, the windows are really slow so i'm going to be having a go at the relay mod. There's no radio in the car so i'll chuck a spare one in at some point. The interior light doesn't work, but the lense isn't cracked 8-) The fusebox cover and gear gator are missing too.

I haven't got the car insurance sorted yet so I haven't really had any chance to have a decent drive yet, but so far i'm very happy with the car :D I had a bit of a nightmare getting Tweetie on and off the trailer when picking it up, it got totally stuck half on half off the trailer trying to unload it. My dad ended up dragging the trailer from underneath the car :? Wrecked the lights on the borrowed trailer :shock:

A few photos from picking it up

And a few pictures from it's previous owner

myatt1972

Re: Tweety and Sylvester, Two RX7s are better than one!

Post by myatt1972 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:58 pm

That really does look a great car James, a proper bargain i'd say s(c)
Think Ive got a fuse box cover if you want one !
Keith...

spirit r

Post by spirit r » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:47 am

Wow!!! Congratulation James looks realy cool,
Black and white i like them both.
Not shure if I would cut diagonally the exhaust pipes and shorten it a bit.
Good to see you have such a fun and so a big Rx7fb heart. s(c) th:

TOOL

Post by TOOL » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:05 am

They look so good slammed.
Back in sunny France

gt_james

Post by gt_james » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:31 am

myatt1972 wrote:That really does look a great car James, a proper bargain i'd say s(c)
Think Ive got a fuse box cover if you want one !
Cheers, it's definitely a better buy than the black one :lol:

I'd appreciate a fusebox cover!

gt_james

Post by gt_james » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:32 am

TOOL wrote:They look so good slammed.
Agreed! hopefully Sylvester will be slammed before long too when I get the new coilovers from ACBRON 8-)

richrx

Post by richrx » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:17 pm

Loving it... Makes me want coilovers on mine. ALOT!!

Have you got any further info/pics on what was done to get the fc coilovers on?

Rich

spoddy

Post by spoddy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:56 pm

both looking good. tweety looks superb, nice colour, maybe a respray in yellow ;) and love the mirrors/wheels.

you are now officially Mr FB :lol:

best of luck and enjoyment with them.

gt_james

Post by gt_james » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:01 pm

I haven't updated on here in a while, and as I couldn't get along to RRG this year :cry: I thought I'd post some ramblings and a few pictures :lol:

I've still not had Tweety on the road, although I snuck it into the village car show ealier in the year, and parked my two sevens up next to my dad's '70 Lotus europa S2 and my grandad's '33 Wolseley 21/60 county.

There's a few jobs I've done on it. If you look carefully you'll notice I changed the mirrors, although it didn't work well with those mirrors and currently has none on. I think I'll try fit some vitaloni california style ones, they're my favorite mirror, but I don't want to drill extra holes in the doors. Also fitted a radio and fitted a gear gator. I have got a pair of 180Ib springs for the rear ready to fit.

I need to fit window seals and get the windows working properly, same with Sylvester really.

I haven't done much on Sylvester. I bought some bits and pieces off Dan after he sold his SA22C. I have a gearbox, Jap spec bumper and filler panel to go on. I also chucked a silly JDM gearknob on :lol:

I plan to build an engine for it, so I've bought the first few bits. Plenty more bits to buy and lots to get stuck in on. I bought a set of 12A S2 plates and a genuine Italian weber 48IDA.

I've had a few chats with Dwayne from silver fern about building a 13B using the 12A plates, RX8 renesis rotating mass and GSL-SE housings, which could be a better option than trying to find 12A bits.

Other than that I've been chasing a new daily, I was all set to go and buy an R32 skyline but that didn't work out as it sold a few days before I could get there. I suppose that means more messing around with RX7s for now :lol:

here's the skyline I missed out on

I'll leave you with a couple of shots of them both

TOOL

Post by TOOL » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:51 am

Nice. Loving the stance on the white one.

I'm interested to see more pics of that centre plate. Why the small port like 12AT?
Back in sunny France