"Success to the Brave!"

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
PatrickS9

"Success to the Brave!"

Post by PatrickS9 » Sun May 18, 2014 11:38 pm

Hi all,

I took the plunge on what seems a fairly well known car here. It's a white 12a Turbo (JDM EFI engine which I think has come from a Cosmo). The car has sat for around a year - maybe more. I bought the car from South Wales for £1500 which realistically was more than I would have liked to spend but the car had 11 months left on it's MOT so I took a punt. Not before purchasing unlimited breakdown cover with my insurer though.

The car has stood and barely been driven. Rust is attacking the arches and around the sunroof as well as some corners under the bonnet. I honestly think another year stood still and the car would go to scrap / salvage which I think's a shame so here begins the journey I suppose...

So, I bought the car and was on my way with work the next day and trying to get to Preston before 2:00am :lol: when the inevitable happened:
image_2.jpg
The journey home...
image_2.jpg (142.38 KiB) Viewed 4670 times
:oops:
image_3.jpg
The fan belt after ~50 miles
image_3.jpg (190.93 KiB) Viewed 4670 times
So currently, the car is in a local garage and the gearbox is on the other side of town. There's some grinding when it's in gear and I don't know if it's the clutch or the gearbox itself so that's going to need some diagnostics and potentially a rebuild (It's the correct jap gearbox that came with the engine so I'm sure I'll need help with parts at some point!). I hope they don't get too p***ed of with what I assume will be black globules of gloopy uncirculated oil! The fan/alternator belt has been replaced with a Continental belt which fitted perfectly. Once the gearbox is sorted and it's had fluids / filters I'll roll it in to the bodywork shop.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the air filter was blacker than black and I think it was the type of panel filter that has a small coating of oil - someone's fitted this to a turbo!

I'll keep some pictures coming as I'll try and check up on it every few days.

I've snatched this off of eBay:
image_1.jpg
Volvo 480 Turbo din boost gauge
image_1.jpg (100.83 KiB) Viewed 4670 times
I'm going to stick this on the dash where the radio is and migrate that to the glove box on a tidy mount. It's a boost gauge from a volvo 480 Turbo and is the standard din size. To keep you interested, my question to you guys is this:

What should I make the switch on the left do? Currently I think it could just wire it as a power switch to the radio. Also, the space on the right is a blank plate. I'll either get a tasteful badge stuck on there (RX-7) orrrrrr I could add some sort of gizmo there... any ideas?

I'll get some more photos up from the next time I see the car. I've alseo got a couple of discreet vinyl stickers too that I'll get people's opinions on in the near future...

ian65

Re: "Success to the Brave!"

Post by ian65 » Sun May 18, 2014 11:47 pm

glad you've bought this car Patrick, I've always had a lot of love for it, ever since I saw it 4 years ago at a meet..... it looked gorgeous back then.
The engine actually came out of a JDM 12at RX7.....this one.....

http://www.mazdare.eu/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=25

I think they use a stock s3 gearbox but Tool will know, he stripped that 12at car.
I'd fit an electric fan if it hasn't already got one and use that switch as a manual overide for the fan
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

Lucky

Post by Lucky » Mon May 19, 2014 12:07 am

Looks like a properly interesting project! They always do fan belts, try to find a double-sheave pulley if at all possible (I assume it's not running an airpump?). That turbo meter panel is truly period awesome 8-) Love it. Ian's fan switch idea is a good one. As for the space, would it fit a 52mm gauge? You can always find a use for an accurate temperature gauge in a rotary, lol. An air/fuel meter or even an exhaust temp gauge is a useful tool for spotting turbo health. Trouble would be finding anything to match the retro cool of that boost gauge, maybe best to just stick with something nice and easy like a natty "Rotary Engine" badge; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROTARY-ENGINE ... 338ece463d

ian65

Post by ian65 » Mon May 19, 2014 6:27 am

is that an electronic or mechanical boost gauge?
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI

TOOL

Post by TOOL » Mon May 19, 2014 6:51 am

The motor had a 12AT box. It is different to a stock S3 box. 12AT box is stronger.

Now, whether you got that box is the question.
I'll need to see pics to ID it.
Back in sunny France

ian65

Post by ian65 » Mon May 19, 2014 6:55 am

nothing to stop him replacing it with a stock s3 box if his is damaged is there? A stock box is plenty strong enough for an elford and these 12at's hardly kick out any more power than an elford
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI

RamoNZ

Post by RamoNZ » Mon May 19, 2014 7:27 am

Stock S3 will be fine.

Could also go for an FC NA manual and swap tail shafts which will then make it a bolt in job.
Series 3 13b EGi 6 port, Tender Blue
Series 2 12a stock, Silver
Series 1 RX2 12a, Herschel Orange

codge

Post by codge » Mon May 19, 2014 8:39 am

I'm not trying to be funny here Patrick but it does look good on the back of the transporter. I mean it looks like it will be a nice car once you get it sorted out.

By the way, shaunwil on here is a Preston lad. He had a black gas converted FB but that's gone now.
He might still have some parts left if you PM him.....he was trying to clear a load of stuff a bit back.

PatrickS9

Post by PatrickS9 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:12 am

Ian,

The boost gauge is mechanical.

As for another gauge, I think a 52mm might be too large. I'll measure up the space but I think it's only 50mm tall.

I was thinking about mounting a TIM boost gauge on the dash until I saw the din unit. They look pretty cool:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40

TOOL,

I'll phone the gearbox place and see if I can have a look at it and take some photos whilst it's out...

PatrickS9

Post by PatrickS9 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:16 am

I've caught it in a good light I think! Again, I'll try and get some photos of the car up asap...