1983 RX7 S2 - Flo

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
ian65

Re: 1983 RX7 S2 - Flo

Post by ian65 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:02 pm

good to see you're back on with this car Will...... and making good progress too. Great to see someone else doing the TII conversion apart from me..... I'm just prepping my S5 TII engine to go into my car and build my MS2 to run it so a similar build to yourself.... are you running the TII transmission as well or sticking with an FB box?
Following this thread with interest th:
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

richrx

Post by richrx » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:45 am

Did i miss the oucome with the janspeed turbo set up?

Rich

Tepper

Post by Tepper » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:36 pm

Thanks for the comments, it's nice to be back 0-0

Rich - the car was never fitted with the Janspeed kit during my ownership - it has some of the bits left over from the conversion including a boost gauge which I intend to use but the turbo was long gone before I got my hands on the car.

Ian - I've been following your thread and has provided much of the inspiration for this, although I decided to go down the same route before I saw yours - great minds and all that?! It'll be interesting to see how you tackle the various challenges associated with the conversion. I've got a TII 'box and propshaft to swap in, I'll have a custom prop made up using the FB/FC shafts and will either buy or fabricate a gearbox mount. Nice work on your shortening of the linkage, I'm not sure whether to do this or just see if I can put up with the shifter being further back... What are you doing about the fuel tank/pump?

ian65

Post by ian65 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:06 pm

I'm going to use the existing fuel tank.... (I bought probably the last new tank in Europe a few years back so I'm reluctant to modify it).... I'm going to use the existing fuel pump as a lift pump to a swirl pot that I'm going to sling under the car and then a high pressure pump to feed the injectors like this...

http://www.rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=71 ... ump#p29610

1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:52 pm

Very nice progress aye! I have come across this place when I was planning my own EFI set up. Quite pricey. Looks nice though!

http://coachmanperformance.com

DB RX63

Post by DB RX63 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:35 am

Internal surge tank, nice, but pricey.
Met Blue Series 2 Elford Turbo
S3 Rally Car (under Construction - Nearly Finished !)

Tepper

Post by Tepper » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:43 pm

That is a nice setup indeed, I came across it when I was looking at my options but it is quite expensive. I'll grab one of the GM ones from the US to have a play with because they're so cheap it's got to be worth a look! P38 Range Rovers have a similar setup I think - a bit like the internal swirl tank concept?

Got a bit done on the 7 today in between a Hyundai Trajet :roll: and my brother's E36:

Pulled the back seat to check for rust... and found some! Looks worse than it is, I chipped the loose stuff away and had a good stab with a screwdriver but it seems solid. Will need to be ground back to see what we're working with, this rust is the same on both sides and has taken hold where a rubber bung seals a threaded hole through the suspension mounting plate.

Rest of it looks pretty clean, some broken glass under there supporting my theory that the car has been broken into/nicked at least once:

Also removed the secondary throttle plates/linkage from the FC throttle body, holes plugged with grub screws, an idea nicked from Ian:

And wire brushed the front control arms ready for POR-15 - the rest of the suspension stuff is going for blasting/powder coating next week but the balljoints on these seem fine, so will keep them:

Plenty more work to be done but should have it back on it's wheels before too long which will at least free up the lift for my workshop mates.

Tepper

Post by Tepper » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:56 pm

Got a few bits done up at the unit this evening - slow progress, but I'm hoping to finish getting the underside of the car stripped back to bare metal on Sunday then should be able to finally get the POR-15 on next time I have a full 12hr day available for paint.

Pressing in the new Energy Suspension polybushes with a hefty screw press that's probably older than the unit itself:

Some of the suspension components back from the powdercoaters. The finish looks pretty good, unfortunately some of the old rubber was not removed by the blasting process as I hoped it would be, so I had to use a wire brush to get the last of it off. If I had to do it again I would make sure it was all gone before sending it off! Hopefully it proves to be durable, which is my main concern:

One of the exhaust heatshields back from blasting, painted with silver stove paint. Will see how this looks when it's dried fully before I do the rest:

I also spent some time thinking about the fuel pump setup. I picked up these Corsa D assemblies at the breaker's just to have a play, hoping that I would be able to use the housing and upgrade the pump itself:

Having had a mess about with them, I don't think they'll work for a few reasons:
- They're set up as a returnless system; this looks like a neat way to do it but from doing some research it seems this is not ideal for a high performance application, although a return could be added
- They're too big! There's no flat area on the tank large enough to fit them, so welded modifications would be needed.

At the moment, I'm tempted to go with this, the Aeromotive Phantom:

It's pricey, but seems like it's going to be the neatest, quietest way to ensure reliable fuel delivery. The installation instructions call for a 3 1/4" mounting hole, which should work fine on this tank:

I think the flat under the spare wheel well is probably going to be the best location and I it should be possible to make an access panel in the well, and/or modify it for clearance if required. Any thoughts/suggestions would be gratefully received.

ian65

Post by ian65 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:24 pm

nice work on the suspension arms... polys will really transform the handling
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:35 pm

Very nice! I get more curious what you're gonna come up with, with every post :D I have seen that Phantom pump setup floating about the internet aye. Haven't really seen much feedback from it at all though.