1983 RX7 S2 - Flo

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
codge

Re: 1983 RX7 S2 - Flo

Post by codge » Tue May 13, 2014 12:06 am

Tepper wrote:
Just waiting on the release bearing and I'll get it all back in, my mate's going to sort out either an old input shaft or turn a tool to get it all centred properly.
I use an old bit of sweeping brush handle hammered through the old clutch splines to get the splines shaped into it. Then whittle down the centre of the wood to fit the release bearing.
An old method from years back but it works.

TOOL

Post by TOOL » Tue May 13, 2014 1:47 am

I've got one you can borrow.
Back in sunny France

codge

Post by codge » Tue May 13, 2014 6:55 pm

No, the brush gets wrecked TOOL....... :lol:

Tepper

Post by Tepper » Tue May 13, 2014 7:58 pm

ian65 wrote:it's getting the box back in that's the tricky bit g-l :)
Don't say that! It'll be fine :D

Codge that's a nice trick, Tool if you do have a sweeping brush I promise to bring it back in one (slightly modified) piece ;) In all seriousness though I'll happily take you up on that if that's alright.

TOOL

Post by TOOL » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:21 pm

Hey bud,

I spotted this in the shed last night: http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2192

TOOL
Back in sunny France

Tepper

Post by Tepper » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:32 pm

Thanks Tool, I remember reading somewhere that on some engines the centre iron was machined for an EGR port, but that it doesn't actually lead anywhere, which would explain why the manifold didn't blank it off on my engine. Bizarre!

richrx

Post by richrx » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Was there ever any updates on this?

Rich

Tepper

Post by Tepper » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi Rich, I still have the car and it's still sitting almost exactly as it was left. I've been distracted by various other things but will soon be turning my attention back to this car, having gained some skills/experience over the last few years. I've finally gotten set up in a proper workshop, rather than a single lock-up and have also recently picked up a Turbo II engine, gearbox etc from an FC. I'm anticipating this will be a slow project as I don't have a massive amount of time to spend on it but that's the direction it's heading in.

Tepper

Post by Tepper » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:34 pm

Finally got a bit of an update on this, it's moving along slowly constrained by time/budget but it's nice to have things moving again. At the moment, the car looks like this:

I have almost finished stripping everything from the underside of the car - this is to check the condition of the shell and treat it with POR-15, install polybushes and check/paint suspension components. I will also need to modify the fuel tank to accept an in-tank FI pump, I am thinking about doing something along these lines: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-pcm- ... rsion.html

The underside looks pretty good, I've only found one small hole in the sill so far:

The condition of the shell generally looks good:

Axle and fuel tank out:

Using a DIY puller to remove the suspension bushings, which thankfully all came out without too much of a fight:

Suspension parts ready for sandblasting/painting/polybushes:

As well as the chassis side of things I have been doing bits and pieces to get the TII engine ready. Blanking plate for some of the emissions kit made redundant by the Megasquirt made up and fitted to upper inlet manifold:

Dodgy old alarm and redundant emissions/ignition wiring traced through the engine bay loom and removed, to be replaced with new DIYAutoTune loom:

And finally on a work trip away, I couldn't bring the car but I could bring a soldering iron and a Megasquirt MS2 kit with a Zeal daughterboard and boost control modkit. JimStim & MS assembled and tested:

That's more or less up to date, things have been happening in a slightly strange order due to time/budget/lift availability but I'm trying to chip away at it when I can. If anyone needs any ignition stuff stripped from the old 12a please feel free to give me a shout, also I'll be ordering some bits from the US in the near future and would be able to shove some more small/light bits in the box, so if anyone needs anything let me know!

Casey

Post by Casey » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:31 pm

Great to hear this project is still alive and kicking. Believe me, I know how "life" delays progress on such projects! My KIMI 1 project is way behind where I'd hoped to be :oops:
KIMI 1 : RX-7 1st Gen "hybrid"; 1983 S2 running gear in a 1985 S3 shell, SORN'd, long term resto project
KIMI 2 : RX-7 1st Gen; 1983 S2, "identical" twin to KIMI 1, on the road :-)
Plus a 2004 Full Bridgeported RX-8 too!