1983 RX7 S2 - Flo

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
Tepper

1983 RX7 S2 - Flo

Post by Tepper » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:30 pm

I've had a bit of an itch for an RX7 for a while now, and having looked at a few I've settled on this one. Went to have a look at it today, paid for it and it'll be getting trailered over to my lock-up in a fortnight.

eBay pics:

She's pretty solid, there are a few small areas of rust but nothing too serious (I hope). It's been sat for 15 years and it runs if you hold the revs or if you pour petrol down the carb and there's no fuel coming out of the jets in the primaries so I think it'll need the carb sorting out. I'll probably order a rebuild kit and fully strip it down. Interestingly, it's got a Janspeed boost gauge and a plate riveted onto the bulkhead saying it was a Janspeed turbo conversion. The turbo is no longer there, but there's still a Janspeed exhaust on there as well as some weird ignition controller which I can only assume had something to do with the conversion. Someone in the past has removed the emissions gubbins and fitted a blanking plate to the inlet manifold.

Plans are to get it running and MOT'd, then go from there. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in!

Lucky

Re: 1983 RX7 S2 - Flo

Post by Lucky » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:39 pm

Haha, just replied on your RR thread asking you to say hi on here, guess I didn't need to :oops:

Welcome along, lol :lol: It seems your car might be quite historically interesting, since no-one's apparently seen a Janspeed turbo running. It'd be interesting to see how much of the original conversion remains. Towbar is still upsetting :lol:

Tepper

Post by Tepper » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:46 pm

It was actually your post on RR that spurred me on to post on here, don't worry! When it arrives I'll get some pics up of what's left of the conversion. There's a metal shroud in front of the radiator with what looks like holes for intercooler pipework and a couple of other bits. I wonder how easy it would be to get a turbo on there again... 8-)

Tepper

Post by Tepper » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:59 pm

I'm in Reading, btw, Lucky mentioned that a location would be handy for some sort of unofficial register.

ian65

Post by ian65 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:47 pm

I'm really looking forward to seeing some photos of your car Will when you get it home...... I wonder if any of the turbo stuff remains? Getting a 12a turbo manifold is probably key to re-instating a turbo...... anyone know what type of carb the janspeed turbo ran? I suppose it was a blow thru setup...

TOOL

Post by TOOL » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:45 pm

Tepper wrote:I'm in Reading, btw, Lucky mentioned that a location would be handy for some sort of unofficial register.
Reading you say ;)
Back in sunny France

codge

Post by codge » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:31 pm

Tepper wrote:some sort of unofficial register.
What He Say!!!!!
Not just any sort, my supremely up-to-the-minute sort of unofficial 1st Generation Register for the British Isles inc Eire!!!!!

Joking Tepper, welcome aboard and thanks for the location. FLO will sleep in a new location on my list very soon.

Codge (Dave)

rip7

Post by rip7 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:02 pm

nearly bought it/ I was right behind you/ good luck. you got there first ,

Chud

Post by Chud » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:05 am

Sounds interesting, look forward to updates.
http://www.exile-rotorsport.com

instagram: tymboooo

1980 series 1 - Oldones S4 13BT 395rwhp @ 14psi
1959 VW Splitscreen Kombi "The Queen"

Tepper

Post by Tepper » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:54 pm

Here she is!

When we got it off the recovery truck I stuck some petrol in and she fired up, the petrol in the inline filter looked pretty grotty... After the first start it actually just about idled, which I was quite impressed with. However, after a few starts, it now takes a while to fire up and won't idle at all. I reckon it's probably cacked up fuel. Would it run if I just gave it a gravity feed of fresh petrol straight into the carb or does it need pressure from the fuel pump?

There are a few obvious things that need doing, such as sorting out the leaking oil cooler, changing all the fluids, sorting out a headlight bulb and wipers etc. I'm after an electric window switch too if anyone's got one kicking about they might be interested in selling.

Pictures as promised:

Loads of dodgy wiring :roll:

This brass thing on the side of the carb looks like it should be connected to something, it was chucking out some sort of vapour when the car was running.

Some sort of bung in the exhaust looking from under the car:

Looks like there should be 2 belts here?

So there you have it. Thoughts? Comments? If you see anything in the pics that is obviously not how it should be, please give me a heads up! I think what I'm going to do is drop the fuel tank and give it a really good clean up to make sure the fuel getting to the carb is good then go from there. That inline filter needs changing and it's fitted the wrong way round as well. I didn't have a look underneath it today as I'm suffering with an almighty hangover and getting it into the garage was enough of a struggle... Oh and the clutch doesn't seem to be engaging properly, the car moves but even with the clutch fully out it doesn't feel like it's biting properly.