My New (old) rx7

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
marked

My New (old) rx7

Post by marked » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi All,

So I just bought this, and am now ready to go on the probably very long journey to bringing it back to life!

First step after I give it a basic clean is to try get the body rust free. unfortunately there was a bit more rust than I first thought in the wheel well/sill zone..

I am planning on wire brushing it to try clear off the worst of the rust, then treating it with aqua steel http://www.aquasteel.co.uk/

Has anyone used a product like this before, or have any other suggestions as to how best deal with the rust?

Also I am missing half the windscreen trim, anyone know where I can get some replacement trim from?

Cheers, and thanks in advance for any advice you might give in this thread... it could be a long one ;) :lol:

myatt1972

Re: My New (old) rx7

Post by myatt1972 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:21 pm

Looks like you got yourself a good project there, the aquasteel stuff is very good and has been used in the marine industry for some time.
The rust on your car is in the usual places, nothing out of the ordinary there, if it turns out you need any rear sill or arch panels there is a bloke called Steve who makes them and they are spot on.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1266
Keep us posted with your progress, we love a resto thread
0-0
Keith...

marked

Post by marked » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:59 pm

myatt1972 wrote:Looks like you got yourself a good project there, the aquasteel stuff is very good and has been used in the marine industry for some time.
The rust on your car is in the usual places, nothing out of the ordinary there, if it turns out you need any rear sill or arch panels there is a bloke called Steve who makes them and they are spot on.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1266
Keep us posted with your progress, we love a resto thread
0-0
Thanks, how easy is it to replace the entire sill panel? Wonder if it might just be easier and better to do this rather than attempting any repairs?

ian65

Post by ian65 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:30 pm

congrats on buying a 1st gen..... in the best colour as well!
I can probably sort you out with a piece of windscreen trim if you get stuck trying to find one, I've got a few lying about.
I don't think complete replacement sills are available, only the repair panels Keith recommended.......................................... unless someone knows otherwise?
It's also very rare for the middle and front of the sills to rot, it's nearly always just under the B post and the adjacent floor area.
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

syebba

Post by syebba » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:49 pm

Sills we're available in 2010.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=51

marked

Post by marked » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:34 am

ian65 wrote:congrats on buying a 1st gen..... in the best colour as well!
I can probably sort you out with a piece of windscreen trim if you get stuck trying to find one, I've got a few lying about.
I don't think complete replacement sills are available, only the repair panels Keith recommended.......................................... unless someone knows otherwise?
It's also very rare for the middle and front of the sills to rot, it's nearly always just under the B post and the adjacent floor area.
I've investigated further this evening and it looks like the worst of the rot is just in from the sill in the floor area as you describe, there is holes on each side now after my poking around, what would you suggest the best course of action is to deal with that?

mooragerx7

Post by mooragerx7 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:28 am

I cut my rust out and replated it inside and out.

TOOL

Post by TOOL » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:52 am

ian65 wrote:congrats on buying a 1st gen..... in the best colour as well!
My man might have some sill panels.
Back in sunny France

marked

Post by marked » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Just tried to put a new battery in today so I can pop the boot, after some sparking smoke started coming out of the box just behind the battery above the wheel, which I believe is a fuse box? I'm thinking I must have put the terminals on the wrong way round (did they not like to put a symbol or use different colours in the 80's? ;) )

Anyone know where I can get a replacement and also if you think that is likely what I did wrong? I did say I was a noob didn't I!? :lol:

Cheers

codge

Post by codge » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:07 pm

They're fusible links, main time delay fuses if you like.

Battery is standard negative earth, so ---ve goes to body, +++ve goes to fusible link box / starter feed.

I don't know what happens if you connect wrong way round. You need some replacement fusible links to repair it properly.

If you connected battery the right way round that's saying to me there's a short circuit somewhere in the wiring.

Fix is to get new links, pull all fuses from fuse box under the dash and replace these smaller fuses one at a time until it shows up.

You might need a wiring diagram to understand it best but if you're not electrical I suggest find a friend.