Mello Yello

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
MelloYello

Re: Mello Yello

Post by MelloYello » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:50 am

So RRG16 has been and gone, but has kept its status as my favourite show.

My road trip buddy was TOOL and his georgeous Mazda Cosmo 20B, having that fill my rear view mirror on the way up was candy for the eyes.
Great to see another good turn from the rx7fb boys.
A great variety of cars on display this year which is what makes RRG so good, there are no right or wrong ways of doing things, everyone is accepted. You can find you yourself looking at a car and thinking I do not like it one bit - but can appreciate the work and effort that has gone into making it.

My hillclimb efforts were hampered by a fueling issue. I cannot be sure, until I get it on a rolling road for a proper tune, but I suspect it was running out of fuel for some reason. It got off the line like a scalded cat and continued to pull hard, but half way up started to sputter.

Whilst standing in line for my second run up the hill I was approached by one of the organisers and informed that I had received the "Racer" award. Which was totally out of the blue, but made my day!
Racer - Got a genuine race car? Got a car done up in race car livery? Well we've got the award for you. Maybe. The winner of this one will be a great looking race car. Whether that is a faux racer, a retired racer or a currently active racer is up to those that turn up. Extra points for authenticity, but we're a broad church so we'll be considering all comers.

ian65

Post by ian65 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:50 am

Well done on the award James s(c) Well deserved, your car looked awesome going up the hill, shame about the fuelling issue.... are you running a swirl pot?
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

A7RXY

Post by A7RXY » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:11 pm

Well done James and truly deserved. The car looks great inside and outside.

Dibs

Casey

Post by Casey » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:27 pm

Fantastic James - your car looked awesome, so well deserved. I hope you get the fuelling problem sorted without too much hassle.
KIMI 1 : RX-7 1st Gen "hybrid"; 1983 S2 running gear in a 1985 S3 shell, SORN'd, long term resto project
KIMI 2 : RX-7 1st Gen; 1983 S2, "identical" twin to KIMI 1, on the road :-)
Plus a 2004 Full Bridgeported RX-8 too!

spirit r

Post by spirit r » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:33 pm

an outstanding Design in perfect quality the only possibility was: to choise your car James, congratulation.
Thank you all for such a lot of hot Rx 7 pictures, seems you all having had a funny day.
Pete is all of you explain the rotary engine as i can see: :idea:

myatt1972

Post by myatt1972 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:54 pm

Well done James, I must admit she looks the nuts s(c)
Keith...

MelloYello

Post by MelloYello » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:51 pm

So it has been a while since I have posted. And i will try to be more regular with postings this year, I might not have much to say but.

I am going to try try and make it along to more car based events this year. Not so much the BIG shows (with the big entry price) but more local events, Sunday morning meets, village shows, etc. I am searching at the moment and will post in the events section. I have come across a few that are not near me but may be of interest to others so keep an eye out.

As for the 7 ..... it is booked in this coming Saturday to have a couple of AFR bungs welded into the exhaust manifold which will allow me to then get it booked in for a rolling road tuning session.

I have relocated the oil cooler further forward and lower than previous which should aid it cooling and also offer better air flow to the radiator which should sort the problems i was experiencing with my journey to and from RetroRides Gathering.

Random photo

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:36 pm

Awesome as bro. Got any pictures of how your cooler sits now?

MelloYello

Post by MelloYello » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:36 am

I will take some photos of how the cooler is positioned when I have it out at the weekend. nothing fancy.

MelloYello

Post by MelloYello » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:22 pm

Ah I still have not taken a photo of the oil cooler set up - have a look at Derek's (DB RX63) for a good looking oil cooler set up.

I have been toying with the idea of a change of wheels for the upcoming season. Got to move with the fashion.

I am thinking of SSR MK1s, what are your thoughts.

Having a bit of a wheel clear out with what ever I do not use.