Mello Yello

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
MelloYello

Re: Mello Yello

Post by MelloYello » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:37 pm

So I got the engine in place a week before xmas, with thanks to KiwiDave for the use of his engine lift and putting up with my swearing.
I have been snatching the odd day here and there and making progress.

I have also been tackling some electrical issues that were beginning to show back when the car was on the road. One thing led to another and before I know it I am in it up to my neck, no backing out now, it is dash out time.

While it does look severe, and does have me crying/laughing with what I find, I am finding it quite satisfying. I will be weighing up everything I take out, as it is never ending.

In the engine bay I have attached a temporary exhaust system and with the help of my furry friend I have attached the freshly refurbed weber.

DKWW2000

Post by DKWW2000 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:30 pm

Good work, I am impressed, there is nothing like a Pussy to keep you focussed :oops:
RX7 FB S3 - RX7 FC TII Vert
Rotaries Previously Owned:-
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander

ian65

Post by ian65 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:52 pm

will you need a lambda sensor if you fit a cat? :?

KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:54 pm

If you found the cat in behind the dash, that's a bunch of your electrical issues right there! Probably why your over rev buzzer sounded a bit catty :lol:

V impressed with your work there. You can school me in the dark art :twisted: of dash removal when we catch up. I've been considering the job so that I can finally trace a rather annoying short circuit.
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate AMG

gt_james

Post by gt_james » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:55 pm

looking like some great work going into this car 8-)

KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:30 pm

MelloYello wrote:Image

In the engine bay I have attached a temporary exhaust system and with the help of my furry friend I have attached the freshly refurbed weber.
Maybe that should be reFURRbed? :lol:
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate AMG

MelloYello

Post by MelloYello » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:31 am

For what seems like an age, I have felt like I have been moving further away from my goal of getting MelloYello back on the road.
But as they say "you cannot make an omlet without breaking a few eggs".
So i now feel that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Okay enough with the metaphors.

I have made real progress with the electrical side of things. It appears that I have managed to remove the car alarm and immobiliser, and reinstate the original wiring without adverse effect. This is a relief as there had been many "gremlins" and the professional work that was carried out was to bypass things, which in turn created problems.

So now when I turn the key I get fuel pump action, great news. And when I turn the key further the starter motor engages, brilliant. And I managed to keep the central locking, which again is good thing considering the door locks are deleted.

Next thing was to stem the flow of fuel being pumped directly into the engine bay, doh I forgot about that. New rubber lines installed while I was under the car, refitting the the repaired fuel pump. Under the bonnet I had to reroute some of the braided lines and fittings due to the fuel pressure gauge fouling on my new K&N filter.
As seen in situ here.

Whilst fitting the new filter I swapped the Weber fuel jets. It is always a bit of a guessing game until you get on the rolling road, so have used the Racing Beat guidelines and fitted the following -
AIRJET 165, EMULSION TUBE F11, FUEL JET 235.
As per the table seen below

So my to do list is getting smaller. Need to sort out cooling system, ignition, and fit a few gauges. Also need to get a rear exhaust muffler made to fit (but to do that I need to drive there).

apexheid

Post by apexheid » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:58 pm

Fuel line too close to engine cos of heat.
Relocation the fuel line and ride along top of joint stem at firewall.
Add fuel filter before inlet and it will have extra fuel when going wot.
The carbs inlet, unscrew the brass nut, throw away the mast screen. The reason is give more flow to the bowel without the screen. There's many more to say and that is enough for now...
PS , put locking wire though the float's bolt

DB RX63

Post by DB RX63 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:09 pm

Hey look at them there luvverrly shiny new housings......

Looking good James.
Met Blue Series 2 Elford Turbo
S3 Rally Car (under Construction - Nearly Finished !)

Lucky

Post by Lucky » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:51 pm

That carb looks well sorted. Mine has the fuel line on the opposite side, which makes routing the lines a bit easier. Or have I just mounted it back to front? :lol:

Threads like this just make me realise how much I need to get my dash off and sort out the botchery under there. Threads like this also make me realise what a horrible job it's gonna be...