A Kiwis Series 3

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
Hobbawobba

A Kiwis Series 3

Post by Hobbawobba » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:57 pm

Hi everyone. Firstly I just want to apologise for my typing. I'm no good with commas and crap aye :|

If you didn't see my introduction post. My name is Jesse, I'm 22 and from NZ, but living in Worcester. Anyway.. I've just recently bought a 7 (finally)! Now I don't know very much about cars, so this is going to be a big learning experience :D
Its going to be a long term project as I don't earn very much money haha. But I've wanted one of these for a long ass time now.

To the car! It was all the way up in Durham while I'm based in Worcester. Long drive. But thankfully I managed to find a lift up thanks to my housemate. Steve also joined us and used his expertise to check for any problems to help me with buying her. Thanks again to both of you for the help! 0-0

I ended up paying just under £1000. There's quite a few smallish problems I need to sort out though.
A few rust patches
Headlights are always on
Need new tyres
I believe Steve said the right brakes were sticking and should try bleeding them? Correct me if I'm wrong bro! Haha
We also noticed on the way home that the spark was arcing on one of the coils. Steve reckons its either the spark plug or one of the plug leads

Thats all I can think of right now. Steve if you see this, feel free to add anything onto my list! Haha :lol:

Only snapped 2 pics from my phone so far. Needs a good tidy up. I’ll try get more up this weekend when I’m off work with nothing to do. Thanks for reading.

Marc S

Re: A Kiwis Series 3

Post by Marc S » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:12 am

very nice...and the best colour too :D
Professional Vehicle Detailing & Valeting in East Sussex
http://www.paragonautofinishing.co.uk

MelloYello

Post by MelloYello » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:25 am

Well done Jesse. Nice to see Steve still having an input in the rotary scene :)

codge

Post by codge » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:56 am

It'll be nice with a clean up.

And I'd take off that cross plate, front of radiator, and respray it original gloss black......easy and makes a load of difference.

Tell us more Jesse once you get stuck in.

Dave.

ian65

Post by ian65 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:26 pm

Well done Jesse, glad you've got hold of one at last.
You don't need loads of money to work on these, 2nd hand parts are cheap and plentiful. If you need anything, just ask, someone on here is bound to have what you need. I've got loads of spare coils if your misfire is being caused by a coil.

great to have another 7 on the forum 0-0 0-0
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

spoddy

Post by spoddy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:18 pm

glad it went to a good home, looks a right motor for the money.
plenty of advice and help on here.

myatt1972

Post by myatt1972 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:35 pm

Well done Jesse looks a real honest car in a great colour. s(c)
Keith...

Steve-A

Post by Steve-A » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Well Jesse asked for my help in going to look at the car, and it didn't take much persuading to get me to come along for the ride....

It looks like a solid enough car, rough round the edges, but with a bit of love it'll be a good car. The usual rust spots have been patched already, not a pretty job but should be strong, and the engine started well hot and cold and pulled like it should :D

Jesse, it was pulling left under braking but there brakes weren't sticking on, so I thought it might be the right calliper that was 'stuck' rather than 'stuck on' :)

As for the arcing across the top of the coil, its just the leading coil that's got visible arcing across the top of it. We tried swapping the coils over, and the king leads, but it still arced across the leading coil. So it's something on the leading side of things. You could try swapping the leading plug leads for the trailing leads and see if that makes any difference which coil is arcing?
Ex-rotor owner exploring the world of pistons and valves....

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:59 pm

Thanks everyone. Im pretty stoked I managed to grab one this colour actually, my favourite for the 7 th:
And I'd take off that cross plate, front of radiator, and respray it original gloss black......easy and makes a load of difference.
Thats one thing im wanting to to ASAP. Its bugging me as it is haha.

Ahh Steve, that's what I was meaning. I guess I need to try word things better! Haha. Ill try and swap them over before I go to work if I have time. Will have to force myself out of bed before the usual 1pm wakeup call ;)

Just remembered the steering wheel wasn't quite on straight also was it? And something about the throttle cable needing adjusting? I should of wrote it all down when you said it originally :roll:

codge

Post by codge » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:09 pm

Steering wheel not straight might mean the track rods are not set right. Also that might make it pull to one side?

Best get a front steering geometry set up done at a tyre place>>>>>are tyres equally worn at front and tyres at correct pressure by the way?