1983 RX7 S2 - Flo

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
Hobbawobba

Re: 1983 RX7 S2 - Flo

Post by Hobbawobba » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:28 pm

Is that an SDR manifold? I had messaged them a few months ago trying to get some pictures of it installed on engines/cars aye. But they have none :( . One more thing of yours for me to keep an eye on :lol: :lol: .

Tepper

Post by Tepper » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:48 am

Yep, it is SDR. They say it'll fit this combination of engine/turbo/chassis and so far so good - it clears the LIM and looks like there should be enough room to get the downpipe past the steering box. Quality seems OK, not 100% but good enough for the money. Will post pictures once I manage to get the engine trial fitted, you're welcome to try the manifold on your car if you want.

Tepper

Post by Tepper » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:46 pm

Starting to get the front end put back together, it's starting to look more like a car again!

Front wings treated with wax:

Refitted with new stainless bolts:

Front suspension back together:

DKWW2000

Post by DKWW2000 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:21 am

Coming together well, the hard work & attention to detail all pays off in the end.......will it beready to take to RR Rides in Aug?
RX7 FB S3 - RX7 FC TII Vert
Rotaries Previously Owned:-
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander

Tepper

Post by Tepper » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:23 pm

DKWW2000 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:21 am
Coming together well, the hard work & attention to detail all pays off in the end.......will it beready to take to RR Rides in Aug?
I doubt it unfortunately! I've had quite a lot of time to spend on the '7 recently due to time between jobs but I start a new job on Monday, so back to evenings and the occasional day on the weekend in the workshop now :(

Front end now all buttoned up. The reason for reusing/not reconditioning some bits (e.g. struts) is that it's likely that I'll change it once the car is on the road, but for now I just want to focus on getting it up and running - once I can drive it I'll be a lot more motivated to improve the handling.

Work started on some of the rust. Chopped out:

Bit of CAD:

Stopped there as I forgot to bring the new steel up to the unit. I'm new to all of this so it's going to be a steep learning curve but am enjoying it so far rdg

MelloYello

Post by MelloYello » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:05 am

Tidy work th:

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:15 pm

Tepper wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:48 am
Yep, it is SDR. They say it'll fit this combination of engine/turbo/chassis and so far so good - it clears the LIM and looks like there should be enough room to get the downpipe past the steering box. Quality seems OK, not 100% but good enough for the money. Will post pictures once I manage to get the engine trial fitted, you're welcome to try the manifold on your car if you want.
Awesome. Would be good to see more pics really aye. :D

Bet it's nice putting all the bits back on aye haha. That suspension mount repair a looking clean as so far :o h:

Tepper

Post by Tepper » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:41 pm

Yeah, it's nice for things to start going back together for sure! If you need any pictures of specific parts of the manifold then just let me know and I'll get them up, will be a while before I'm able to get it into the chassis but as I said, if you want to try it for size on your car drop me a PM.

Sadly due to starting a new job I've had less time to spend on the '7 than I'd like. Have been stockpiling parts and also trying to learn how to weld. Some practice on a rusty Golf wing:

It's harder than it looks! Getting the fit exactly right is proving to be crucial as any gap results in me blowing holes and I am finding it tricky to walk the line between holes and good penetration. Maybe I should look at putting a block of copper or ally behind the weld? There are some sections that I'm happy with but a lot of it looks pretty awful - I was hesitant to spend a lot of time getting the fit exactly right just on practice pieces but it probably would've resulted in a much better weld. More practice needed before I go anywhere near the car...

DB RX63

Post by DB RX63 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:52 pm

Welding - trial and error. Copper can be useful when you are welding up holes. Use flattened plumbing tube folded and clamp with vise grips.

On body panels I use small "stitch" welds and change position and leave a few minutes between each weld to try and prevent the panel warping.

This web site has some really good info http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/
Met Blue Series 2 Elford Turbo
S3 Rally Car (under Construction - Still !)

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:16 pm

I may possibly take you up on that at some point. Depends how quickly I get get engine in and how much the current manifold needs to be modded :lol:

Ahhh welding. Fun times ahead :shock: :? :lol: