Wires' 12a Turbo

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.

Re: Wires' 12a Turbo

Postby richrx » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:30 pm

How did you get on with the engine? Hope its good news...

Rich
richrx

Postby Wires » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:43 pm

Well I've had it running for a good 20mins or so, it started to settle down and sound a lot smoother. However now the plugs are fowling and she won't start again. As I know the internals are fresh, I think there is too much premix in the fuel. Reckon I over did it as I deleted the omp but wanted to ensure plenty of lubrication.

So I stuck half a tank of fresh fuel in this evening to dilute it up, it almost fired on some old plugs. Got some new ones on the way.

Are there any suitable cheap ones I can use to get it started?
Wires

Postby richrx » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:17 pm

Normally i wire brush the old plugs clean and that's enough to get it going and running smooth.. Obviously if its idling then they'll soot up pretty quickly again regardless of age...

Rich
richrx

Postby DKWW2000 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:37 am

Spin the engine over a few times with no plugs, that should help clean the excess oil & soak the dirty plugs in thinners & clean thoroughly, that should get you started prior to the new ones going in.
RX7 FB S3 - RX7 FC TII Vert
Rotaries Previously Owned:-
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander
DKWW2000
Site Admin

Postby danny » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:09 pm

When I try to start a two-stroke engine up that had some work done to it, I pre-heat the sparkplug whit a blowtorch. At the same time it cleans the plug off old oil-residue. Works every time. :idea:
danny

Postby Wires » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:22 pm

I was just considering the same technique, will give it blast... Quite literally.
Wires

Postby Wires » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:19 pm

So, drained all the fuel, put in some fresh and checked it was coming through into the engine and the premixed stuff had all gone. Then a few hours with many plug changes (old ones cleaned in thinners then blow torched) with plenty of plug out turnovers to clear out the shit.

Really didn't think it was gonna work, plugs eventually started to look normal, so I gambled with a new set and she fired, thank fu!k

So, left her ticking over, a look over the engine, all seems ok. Still running a touch ruff, idling around 2k.

I then went to move it and couldn't get a gear. So I let the engine run for approx 20mins, fan was on but it sure did get hot, so much so that I couldn't touch the throttle body to rev it just a touch from the engine bay.

Anyways, shut it down then tried bleeding the clutch, fluid coming through the slave bleed nipple fine but no movement and the clutch pedal is sticking to the floor.

Hilarious moment when I'm shouting at the other half to ask if the pedal is in or out and she says it hasn't moved. I go round pull it in and out by hand, then go back to the bleeding for her to say it won't budge.... She then says, "oh, how come there are four pedals?"

That's the foot rest dear :/

So yeah, I'm thinking the slave master is gone, it came apart and looked pretty brown and gunked up when the engine was going back in.

Best place to pick one up? Jimmy's has them but I know I'm paying over the odds, really need it ASAP though, MOT on Thurs then it's meant to be at Japanese performance show on the Sunday (otherwise I'd be at retro rides).
Wires

Postby ian65 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:00 pm

a MX5 repair kit will get it working again...

Steve-A wroteColonJust as a note of interest....

I'd previously guestimated that the slaves are internally the same as the mk1-mk2.5 mx5. Today I tested that, as my slave died.
I'm now running the mx5 piston and seal in my s2 body and its working fine.

You can buy 'repair kits' for the mx5 slave consisting of piston, spring, seal and rubber boot for about £15. Compared to £60 for a brand new master and salve that Ian found up there it's not too much use, but if you've got one kicking about the garage floor it certainly is a saving if its just the piston and seal that are damaged rather than the bore. :)

http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/clutch-slave- ... p-255.html

Probably less financially painful than being bent over by Jimmys.
ian65
Site Admin

Postby Wires » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks Ian, sadly none in stock, I've managed to order a replacement that should arrive tomorrow.

Really hope that's the last of my issues and I can get this thing on the road again.
Wires

Postby richrx » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Rock auto are good for these kind of spares too...

Thats great its starting to clear, a nervous moment starting a new engine up eh?

So what spec was the engine built too? You mentioned it had a 13b centre plate,did that get replaced or reused? Any porting? Not sure if it was discussed else where and I've missed it?

Rich
richrx

PreviousNext

Return to RX7 Rides and projects