Hello from Weymouth

Why not come in here and introduce yourself... ( it'll then open up more forum features to you)
RX7Mazdaman

Hello from Weymouth

Post by RX7Mazdaman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:20 pm

So hello to all.

I've been in and out with RX7's probably for the last 20 years, been to JapFest, Traxx, Max Power events, Silverstone, couple of track days. With the different RX owners clubs to events mainly in the south of England and a Trip to Le Mans. All three generations of RX7's, a foray into an RX8, MX5, but I love the first generation RX7 for it's shape. So I have bought another one, to my wife's disgust.

It needs a fair bit of work, last owner had it for less than a year and did less than a few hundred miles after buying it from Hayward Rotary. Where I hear a standard trick is to paint it rattle can matt black - it's now starting to flake (it used to be a light metallic blue).

Interior is a combination of black and brown from the first generation , with a fair bit either not working or falling off.

So, why did I buy it, because the shell / underneath looks solid and the engine runs. Well yes and no.

My journey home from the purchase (160 miles) had lots of brakes pulling to one side, loud clunk from the rear and a complete loss of coolant about 50 miles from home. Trip to Tim @ RX Motors , coolant issue was due to heater hose to firewall needing a new jubilee clip, brake issue was thought to be the bias valve which got replaced. He also then replaced the cigarette lighter, passenger window regulator, starter motor that needed doing.

Still had issues with the brakes, clunk etc, so after a visit to a nearby garage and an order from Mazdatrix in the USA, i am waiting for the replacement rear shocks (clunk), replacement front pads/disks/caliper rebuild kits (braking issues) to be fitted. They also diagnosed the tie rods were shot. There was also a missing bolt for one front caliper (thanks Tim @RX Motors for sending that).

So, after all the above I hope being replaced soon, I should then be able to drive it safely. Still a long list of parts to fix / replace, but I would like to drive it and know I am safe and going to get there and back.

People may remember either my old yellow first gen RX7, yellow RX8 (which had the black/yellow leather seats that Mazda used in their promo stuff, never seen another with it), my yellow Turbo2 cabriolet that the current owner keeps putting on ebay to sell.

Anyway ... hello !

Justin Drysdale

A7RXY

Re: Hello from Weymouth

Post by A7RXY » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:20 am

Hi Justin and welcome back to FB ownership, good luck with your quest , why not start a thread on your car and add some photos as we all love to see others cars.
Dibs

KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:36 am

Welcome Justin.

Yes, I've seen the yellow vert on EBay. Caught my eye because of the color.

Tim @ RX Motors should be your go - to guy if you're local to him. He's highly respected on here. th:
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate AMG

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:04 am

Welcome to the forum aye. At least you know what you're getting in to!

This the car? Paul used to own it and I've given him a message on Facebook
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3309&p=32582#p32582

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3863&p=38180#p38180

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:42 am

Helo Justin have u bought the one advertised on eBay fro towcester in August m8

RX7Mazdaman

Post by RX7Mazdaman » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:31 pm

Yup.

it's had a few issues, that whilst I dropped it into my mate Tim @ RX Motors to get a new MOT, it still returned with problems.

So, this is what i have had to do so far:
1. missing bolt for front passenger brake caliper (how did that get missed on a MOT) - thanks to Tim, it's replaced
2. front calipers both sides sticking on , but weirdly not seen on a rolling road test - new front EBC disks and pads. Whist at it, rebuilt front calipers.
3. rear shock goes clunk on bumpy roads - replaced with new KYB shocks both sides, it doesnt appear lowered, but still it seems too easy to bottom out (suspect that the springs are uprated and too stiff for the normal KYB shocks - gotta look into standard springs - worry the Racing Beat's will be too stiff again- had them on a previous 1983 I had)
4. both sets of inner/outer tie rod joints trashed - replaced with new (including the bolts, nuts) from Mazdatrix from the USA
5. idler arm joints shot - replaced with new from Australia
6. trans steering joint shot - wrong one sent from Austalia (bolts don't line up, so need to find another one)
7. fuelling problem occassionally, car just seems to stutter/ have to let it die, as adding revs does not add power - fuel filter full of rust, so replaced and fingers crossed this will resolve that problem.

Still need to do:
rear window cabling broken off - so not sure if rear wiper motor or heated screen work
drivers window now started to go slow
wipers seem to have a mind of their own, really only work on fastest speed
rear drain holes full of mud, need to clean them out - probably also true for sunroof holes
all rubber door seals, perished - new set from Australia delivered, just need to install them
lots of interior mismatch and missing/broken, so will be a long journey and the exterior rattle can black needs to go.

Found a localish place to store it from December for 6 months, so it will be dry and possible to do some work on it.

Justin

RX7Mazdaman

Post by RX7Mazdaman » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Hobbawobba wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:04 am
Welcome to the forum aye. At least you know what you're getting in to!

This the car? Paul used to own it and I've given him a message on Facebook
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3309&p=32582#p32582

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3863&p=38180#p38180
Yup - good to find out some of the history on the car - obviously the parts Paul supplied with the car that he was going to do, did not get done by Hayward and I have had to purchase do them as well !

Anyway if Paul is still about, would love to talk to him and find out a bit more on the car's history with him.

Justin