My first gen rx7 project

Why not come in here and introduce yourself... ( it'll then open up more forum features to you)
Adrian

My first gen rx7 project

Post by Adrian » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi all just joined so looking forward 2 during the website I bought my first rx7 in 1985 what a car anyways kept it 5years then sold it as needed the money .(always missed it)a year ago I was looking on eBay and out of interest I searched rx7 1983 to my delight ifound and purchased it£800 blind when car turned up it drove really well but was very rotten i soon found out you cant buy new panels although mechanical parts are available.so i decided to see if i could buy anotherone and use as a donor.months later another one turnedup on ebay which i purchased it had been drystored for 21 years and by comparison the bodywork especially the outerpanels were tiptop only required abit of wielding here and there .this ine did not run engine siezed.idecided i would restore this one instead although i had spent many hours on my original one the car is now completley stripped and the shells been dipped and now on a jig in my garage many parts have been purchased ive had many parts shotblasted and powdercoated im waiting on a m8 to do some wielding on it seems forever as he's busy but he's a really good so it's worth the wait I've now bought a 3rd rx7 yes mad eh!!! This one has had a 13b engine in it sump Tec adapted to fit by a very clever Mazda technician now retired this was his personal vehicle it has also got the elford turbo(holygrail stuff for me) its been ported and has lots of upgrades on it bodywork rotten to but it goes like a rocket so it's exciting stuff (this one had been outside and not used for 17 years but fortunately the owner prepped the engine for being laidup nice to meet you all and il keep you updated would be great to hear from anyone else restoreing Tec one

Adrian

DKWW2000

Re: My first gen rx7 project

Post by DKWW2000 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:35 am

Hi Adrian welcome to the Forum, you have quite a fleet of 7s now, so spares should not be a problem for you. We love to see pictures so as many as possible would be great. A register of all known FBs in UK is kept by one of our members so it would be useful for the Reg Nos of the cars so there status can be recorded (for forum purposes only). There is a wealth of knowledge held by members & in print on the Forum , so any problem has been encountered before. What part of the country are you?
regards Pete
RX7 FB S3 - RX7 FC TII Vert
Rotaries Previously Owned:-
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander

Wires

Post by Wires » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:49 am

Welcome to the forum, good luck with the projects, sounds like you'll have one nice motor once all the best bits come together.

richrx

Post by richrx » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:11 am

Welcome along, projects are always good to see and hear about. Gives others inspiration... Your collections sounds very interesting and I'd love to see some pictures

Rich

Casey

Post by Casey » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:10 pm

Welcome along! Quite a collection you have there. Hopefully you'll have all you need to get a good car from the fleet, with some good spares left over :D

Looking forward to seeing and hearing your progress - would love to see some pictures g-l
KIMI 1 : RX-7 1st Gen "hybrid"; 1983 S2 running gear in a 1985 S3 shell, SORN'd, long term resto project
KIMI 2 : RX-7 1st Gen; 1983 S2, "identical" twin to KIMI 1, on the road :-)
Plus a 2004 Full Bridgeported RX-8 too!

codge

Post by codge » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:12 pm

Hi Adrian,
Yes, Welcome on here, some pics please.

Codge (Dave)

Threesevens

Post by Threesevens » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:08 pm

Hi Adrian,

Welcome.
Sounds like you are a glutton for punishment, like the rest of us.
Just like everyone else would love to see your photo's

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:27 pm

Hi all thanks for your messages I'm in Bristol car registration are as follows car I am restoring a584dpg first one I bought c822cyp 3rd one with the 13b c234dvr confession time I bought a 4th one simply because it was only £250 had been stripped and is a rolling shell from a guy advertising parts on eBay .i have a very good m8 who makes his living transporting cars so he picked it up 4 me for nothing on a return journey and the shells really good and would give someone a great base to build one and I've got enough spares to build a second ones including. engine &box and all panels regb317vyv thought it's bound 2 come in handy and because their so rare now I thought I would save it from the crusher. My 15 year old joes getting very interested in my project especially after I let him drive the one with the 13b engine so I'm hoping he's going 2 ask me if he can have it so we can do them both together mine first of course (he drove it round a field and he's been driving cars round a field for years)I will get some picky son as soon as I workout how to do it as I'm atechnofob thanks Adrian

myatt1972

Post by myatt1972 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:31 pm

Hi Adrian, welcome to the forum, sounds like youve got your hands full there.
Am I reading your post correctly ? Do you have a 13b with elford turbo fitted ? I'd be interested to know about that.
And yes we love pics 0-0
Keith...

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:26 am

Hi Keith I don't know a great deal as I'm still learning about it.it was fitted on the 12a engines and apparently when you ordered your new rx7 from Mazda although it was not a Mazda made part Mazda would fit on order and still honour their warranty as it was accepted by them as a reliable enhancement .i bought an rx7 in the midlands which had the later model 13 b in it with the elford turbo fitted the engines a 6 port so it's a bigger engine the guy I bought it from was a Mazda technician an had adapted the sump and anything else so that the engine would fit .he also adapted the intake manifold 2fit the elford turbo as it wasn't designed originally for a 13b engine. The results are very impressive as it's very quick and responsive shame the body works gone on it and underneath. I've got a receipt for it having a full rebuild ported out etc 20000 miles an20plus years ago. Byway auto developments who are still building Mazda engines todayFortunately the guy prepped the engine b4 he took it off the road and I spent a fair bit of time on it b4 attempting to start it. Apparently lots of other goodies on it as well. It's a wet turbo ceramic seals and us carburettor you can google it I'm an amateur I was an apprentice mechanic for 2years (enough time to be dangerous lol)I've always worked on cars as a hobby but I'm sure there's a lot of people on this site that will know a hell of a lot more than me thanks adrian