Rebuilding my heater...

Fans, radiators, heaters, e-fans, cooling issues, air conditioning...
RX7SA

Re: Rebuilding my heater...

Post by RX7SA » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:09 am

Great thread Ian, I am thinking of getting this done on my SA and was wondering where you got the foam from? Another great job as always Ian, did you blast the metal or was it a rust inhibitor, wire wheels and POR15? Thistle route I'm going down I think.
Thanks
Simon
1990 Mk2 Jetta, coilies, Corrado interior, daily ongoing project
1979 RX7 SA restoration to save a scrapper

ian65

Post by ian65 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:41 am

I used some of this stuff Simon....

air conditioning fitters use it and I got some for free off an a/c fitter but it can be bought from loads of places including here...

http://www.pipelagging.com/armaflex-pip ... g29s57kd75

to clean the tinware I used a wire brush in the electric drill and then gave them a heavy coat of cold zinc galvanising out of a spray can

if you have the opportunity to take the heater box out and refurb it, it's well worth doing..... it's surprising how they deteriorate... as a test, look at your heater box and you will see the bottom flap just inside the heater box. Run your finger over the foam on the flap and the chances are that it will just turn to dust.
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

luiml73

Post by luiml73 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:46 pm

Hey guys, I own a 78 JDM Sa here in the United States. The car does not apear to come with AC from factory, The blower is there, but there is no evaporator, just a plastice pipe/tube. Will I be able to fit a LHD evaporator in my car? I already found someone with the condesner and all the lines. The compressor i will purchase new.

Thanks

Luis

KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:31 am

luiml73 wrote:Hey guys, I own a 78 JDM Sa here in the United States. The car does not apear to come with AC from factory, The blower is there, but there is no evaporator, just a plastice pipe/tube. Will I be able to fit a LHD evaporator in my car? I already found someone with the condesner and all the lines. The compressor i will purchase new.

Thanks

Luis
Hi Luis
I assume your SA is RHD then? Rare for a JDM car not to have AC as standard fitment. LHd/RHD use the same evaporator core, it's the casing that differs so the mounting points are all in the wrong place. I have the same issue trying to retrofit AC to mine. RHD evaporator casing is a rare thing. I assume you could make the LHD casing fit, it's just not plug and play. :(
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate AMG

luiml73

Post by luiml73 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:55 am

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, the car is RHD. It has a very early vin Sa22c_103668. god knows how many owners the car has had before myself. The frenders and front winshield have been changed to US Spec. I already purchased the parts needed so now it's just a matter of mounting the evaporator to the blower somehow. I will post pics of my progress, once I begin.

Thanks again

Luis

A7RXY

Post by A7RXY » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:42 pm

Luis
Your car looks great you should consider sending it to me in the UK as we do not need AC here. good luck with your conversion.

dibs