Viscous fan bi-metallic strip

Fans, radiators, heaters, e-fans, cooling issues, air conditioning...
Festa662

Viscous fan bi-metallic strip

Post by Festa662 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:29 am

So im planning a e- fan swop on my car to a twin fan set up properly wired through relays and a fan temp sensor ( possibly gonna make a tee piece) to fit in the same hole as the gauge sender. My only stumbling block so far is this the thermostat begins to open @82 degrees and is fully open @ 93 according to mr haynes but there is no figure for the bi-mettalic strip on the viscous fan coupling so i have no figure to go on for buying a sensor will be posting photos and wiring schematics of this mod when complete inc all parts and numbers if i can only get to the bottom of this ! Thanks fez
Fb gen 3 partially restored
Fb gen3 partially a bat mobile

ian65

Re: Viscous fan bi-metallic strip

Post by ian65 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:06 am

why not used a controller like this... you'll have full control of when the fans kick in then....

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/a ... thermostat

I'm running twin fans on mine....

This is my setup...

http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=74

Festa662

Post by Festa662 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:15 am

Yeah seems a fair point but what temp do you have yours set for ? If possible
thanks fez

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:22 pm

I'm currently in the process of installing an electric fan into mine. I chose to go with a 16" single speed Kenlowe fan from Demon Tweeks along with a Davies Craig 0444 controller. Cost about £200 for the both of them. The controller has a digital readout of set temp and also current temp. I'll post some pics up in a few weeks when I've got everything all back together :)

I was thinking of setting mine at either 90 or 95

spirit r

Post by spirit r » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:15 pm

My opinion is every time working engine the air should stream above, especially on the rear side of the engine. Visco fan do this. E-fan do it too?
Larger alternator and battery are needed. One E-fan must working slowly every time after engine is warmed up and the other E-fan only temparature is increased up to 89°C. The two different position of the temparature probe is important, too.

Thomas

Remember: living in germany where no highway limited exist near the black forest mountains. I testet e-fan long time ago and i was not so happy with them.

Festa662

Post by Festa662 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:23 pm

My viscous fan has failed somwhere in the middle its not locked on but its not loose either ive tried the pin clean up an it made no difference has any one attempted a different fan hub off say a bmw e36 or similar? Maybe a cheaper/ more original option ? I was after the correct temp of the bi-metal strip so i could get an appropriate sensor of the same range and tap that into the radiator to control the fan relay i will be adding so it will work the same as a modern car and be future proof for parts hopefully lol .fez

Festa662

Post by Festa662 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:03 pm

Hobbawobba wrote:I'm currently in the process of installing an electric fan into mine. I chose to go with a 16" single speed Kenlowe fan from Demon Tweeks along with a Davies Craig 0444 controller. Cost about £200 for the both of them. The controller has a digital readout of set temp and also current temp. I'll post some pics up in a few weeks when I've got everything all back together :)

I was thinking of setting mine at either 90 or 95
Im thinking 90 would be to low as the stat is fully open @93 according to haynes 95 sounds about right however viscous fans control of air temp at the radiator shroud were would the probe for the controller go if its the top hose/ outlet wouldnt it be coming on a lot sooner as it would be hot coolant straight out the stat? Most modern cars have a block temp switch that controls the fan but with rotarys having a higher running temp im worried about either cooking or over cooling lol

codge

Post by codge » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:00 am

I'm not sure the water side of a rotary is any hotter than a piston car? The exhaust certainly, but the rad, water pump, fan, stat system seems like a straight lift from a piston engine to me......???? comments please.

ian65

Post by ian65 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:46 am

the sensor for my controller is in the bottom hose

Festa662

Post by Festa662 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:13 am

So ive done some digging with the v8 fellas on a land rover forum there stats are an 82 degree same as ours there fans cut in at 88-90 degrees to leave a 3-5 degree gap between fan on and stat fully open @ 93 im get a 88 and a 90 switch and se which is better , now the question is were would the best placment be tapped in the rad or the irons!