Fan belt slipping viscous fan suspect.

Fans, radiators, heaters, e-fans, cooling issues, air conditioning...
tonyg911

Fan belt slipping viscous fan suspect.

Post by tonyg911 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:55 pm

Hi all ,viscous fan over driving causing fan belt to slip,does any one know the best electric fan conversion option don't mind a DIY job.
Regards tonyg911.

myatt1972

Re: Fan belt slipping viscous fan suspect.

Post by myatt1972 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:16 pm

Early mr2 twin fans fit quite well, Ian65 has them. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2174&start=70
Ive got a kenlowe and its been great, also add a manual overide switch ;)
Keith...

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:18 am

As Keith said. The old MR2 fans are supposed to be quite an easy swap over.
Here's the topic on how to install them: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=74

I have also got myself a 16" single speed Kenlowe from Demon Tweeks, but won't be installing it until after my MOT at the end of the month :?. Look like a good unit though.

I also got one of these units to control the fan from Demon Tweeks.
http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Controlle ... tails.aspx
I think it cost 48 British Pound coins. Nice LED display of the current temp and set temp :o The temperature sensor slots into your radiator fins so there is no intrusion on the radiator hoses which I like the idea of :)

I wont be able to comment on how they perform for about a month or so, hopefully!

Let us know what you decide to go with though aye!

ian65

Post by ian65 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:01 am

these are decent fan controllers....

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/a ... thermostat

and you need a 16" fan ideally

The MR2 fans are good but require either 2 controllers or a controller that will run 2 fans......on a N/A car, I'd go for a Kenlowe type setup..... nice, simple and light.

tonyg911

Post by tonyg911 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:30 pm

ian65 wrote:these are decent fan controllers....

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/a ... thermostat

and you need a 16" fan ideally

The MR2 fans are good but require either 2 controllers or a controller that will run 2 fans......on a N/A car, I'd go for a Kenlowe type setup..... nice, simple and light.
Many thanks,you have helped me make my mind up will go with 16" Kenlowe type set up with controller.
Regards tonyg911

tonyg911

Post by tonyg911 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:36 pm

myatt1972 wrote:Early mr2 twin fans fit quite well, Ian65 has them. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2174&start=70
Ive got a kenlowe and its been great, also add a manual overide switch ;)
Thanks myatt72,i think I will go with your recommendation thanks for speedy reply.
tonyg911

tonyg911

Post by tonyg911 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:45 pm

Hobbawobba wrote:As Keith said. The old MR2 fans are supposed to be quite an easy swap over.
Here's the topic on how to install them: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=74

I have also got myself a 16" single speed Kenlowe from Demon Tweeks, but won't be installing it until after my MOT at the end of the month :?. Look like a good unit though.

I also got one of these units to control the fan from Demon Tweeks.
http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Controlle ... tails.aspx
I think it cost 48 British Pound coins. Nice LED display of the current temp and set temp :o The temperature sensor slots into your radiator fins so there is no intrusion on the radiator hoses which I like the idea of :)

I wont be able to comment on how they perform for about a month or so, hopefully!

Let us know what you decide to go with though aye!
Many thanks,you have been a great help that looks a good controller will go 16" kenlowe fan type.Cheers tonyg911

Lucky

Post by Lucky » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:30 pm

Is your car a Series 3? I think the 16" Kenlowe fan will probably only fit on the deeper late-model radiator. I have a 14" on my Series 3 and there's definitely room for an extra two inches... lol :roll: Ask the missus why that matters. With that said, the 14" has been perfectly adequate for cooling. The Kenlowe system is an excellent buy, well worth the money with literally everything you need for the conversion

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:55 pm

Lucky wrote:Is your car a Series 3? I think the 16" Kenlowe fan will probably only fit on the deeper late-model radiator.
Good shout, Nik. From his intro thread, its an '85. So the Mrs should be happy :lol:

Keith, how do you add a manual override switch? I assume its pretty easy.. But I haven't looked into it at all haha

tonyg911

Post by tonyg911 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:41 pm

Lucky wrote:Is your car a Series 3? I think the 16" Kenlowe fan will probably only fit on the deeper late-model radiator. I have a 14" on my Series 3 and there's definitely room for an extra two inches... lol :roll: Ask the missus why that matters. With that said, the 14" has been perfectly adequate for cooling. The Kenlowe system is an excellent buy, well worth the money with literally everything you need for the conversion
Lucky, many thanks for info,good to know the smaller fan keeps thing cool under the bonnet.
Cheers tonyg911