Waterless coolant

Fans, radiators, heaters, e-fans, cooling issues, air conditioning...

Waterless coolant

Postby ian65 » Mon May 19, 2014 6:14 pm

anyone used any of this or got any thoughts on it? :?
ian65

Re: Waterless coolant

Postby RamoNZ » Mon May 19, 2014 9:50 pm

I've looked into it but only gleaned Internet knowledge.

Cooling system has to be completely water free which might be harder to do than say, no need for a pressure cap is an interesting side effect but cost is very high and you need to carry lots of spare litres with you in case somehow you loose your coolant - no topping up with water to get you home.

Upside is it lasts forever so costs are outweighed as long as it stays in the engine!
Series 3 13b EGi 6 port, Tender Blue
Series 2 12a stock, Silver
Series 1 RX2 12a, Herschel Orange
RamoNZ

Postby ian65 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:42 am

ah.... interesting thanks..... tbh, sounds like more trouble than it's worth.
ian65

Postby RamoNZ » Tue May 20, 2014 5:59 pm

You sparked my curiosity by bringing this up - I have only ever read up about it with a Piston engine in mind and the hassle of having a specific cooling medium that costs £150 to fill the engine - including prep fluid and some spare to top off in the event of a leak or engine work requiring some spillage.

However, there is one factor that would certainly benefit a rotary, and that is the reduction of pressure in the cooling system. The waterless stuff boils at 180 so running around even 100 degrees puts no pressure on the seals or radiator hoses or gaskets etc.. Theoretically, if it didn't leak stone cold, it wouldn't leak hot - I'm sure we've all seen a leak that only comes on once the pressure builds. it would certainly help if the waterseals were getting a bit tired on the cold side of the engine (obvs on the hot the combustion pressure would overcome weak seals easy enough).

Regarding cost - if it costs £20 or so every 2 years then the payback period is rather long, so that wouldn't be a reason to do it, and if you did venture there, you'd want to block off any sources of possible leakage like the inlet manifold and allow inlet removal without coolant loss - I suspect that the orings would last a fair while longer if not subject to any pressure though....

Food for thought?
Series 3 13b EGi 6 port, Tender Blue
Series 2 12a stock, Silver
Series 1 RX2 12a, Herschel Orange
RamoNZ

Postby Lucky » Tue May 20, 2014 6:13 pm

You already isolated the main concern for me, dude, which is; what do you do if you get a leak and have to top-up? Either carry a load of waterless stuff with you all the time, or call a low-loader. Not ideal.

Plus, how safe is it on rotary engine water seals? I bet the company's never paid for R&D on rotaries. Given the number of FDs that used to be imported having spent a couple of years on various docks and boats, then blew their water seals with in a week of use... the coolant would pool at the bottom of the engines and then they'd leak as soon as they were put under stress. Although I've never been 100% whether that's degradation to the seals or corrosion to the housing or both. Still, I'd like to see a water seal immersed in Evans waterless stuff for, like, six months without it turning into silly putty to set my mind at rest!
Lucky

Return to Cooling