window stuck down

Anything related to the cars electrics... problems.... mods... fixes etc
brenlixnaw

window stuck down

Post by brenlixnaw » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:51 pm

hi all there seems to be a greater power stopping me from getting out onto the roads when i bought the car(1st gen series 2 1981) the passenger side electric window didnt work but i wasnt over concered as it would go onto my winter list but now with no warning the drivers side one has given in ive removed the door card and theres electric getting to it and i can hear a click when i press button but no movement ive downloadeed a rx7 1st gen manual but electric windows not in there has any one had simular problem and what was needed to solve it has car wont go through nct without working window on a better note the door inside with the card removed does nt seem in too bad a condition i was expecting it to be very rusty but :P

Lucky

Re: window stuck down

Post by Lucky » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:14 pm

Might be a few things.. there's no relay so all the power goes through the switch. Might be the switch is starting to burn out, might be the wire has come adrift, might be that the switch just needs taking apart and cleaning out, they suffer fro clagging up badly. Also worth greasing the runners for the window, makes a huge difference to the ease with which the glass runs in the guides.. and therefore a huge difference to how much current loading it puts through the switch

brenlixnaw

Re: window stuck down

Post by brenlixnaw » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:18 pm

finally got both windows working
well heres my tale drivers side window switch was broke inside small piece of plastic that holds spring that pushes plastic and small runner down onto switch contacts i cut a bit of plastic off a box and glued it in place (wifes tweezers came in very handy
)
my phone 158.jpg
my phone 158.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 1033 times
then hoping to find same kind of problem for passenger side decided to try to get passenger side working (it was nt working when i bought car)
after a clean, switch was sending power but no movement so had to remove motor but no movement as motor was siezed up so took motor apart
my phone 173.jpg
my phone 173.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 1033 times
and it was rusted up on inside so cleaned all rust greased all bits cleaned with petrol and prayed also greased drivers side runners and now both windows work great
now i feel invinsable :D so im going to get the arial to work from the 4th switch that seems to have no role if any one has any advice its most welcome
Attachments
my phone 175.jpg
my phone 175.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 1033 times