Rear Speakers!

Anything related to the cars electrics... problems.... mods... fixes etc
DeanRX7

Rear Speakers!

Post by DeanRX7 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:20 pm

Rear speakers guys......from memory they are 6" and 6.5" is standard speaker size but can they fit under the original plastic (allowing for the rear magnet) One seems to be blown on mine and thought it would be good to update all four. I know they're 4" in the front.

When installing I will mount them to thin MDF to give better sound as found in this AusRotary thread.

http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=208400

EG....
For rears i prefer to go for a 6 1/2" 2 or 3 way or even split. in Stock location.
OPTION # 1
Factory location
I fitted Alpine type R splits and had to trim a little for them!
This is ok as there is plenty of space otherwise. Just not heaps of depth for a big magnet. Also the panel isn't very sealed, it vents into the rear behind the carpet...
You'll want to make a bit of a panel up to mount the speaker to the factory position. Go for some thin MDF like 3mm -5mm as your more just wanting a FLAT mounting surface to seal better against the speaker. Also use something to fill the little gaps in between MDF panel/spacer for better bass! I use sound deadener cut to size. Also fill holes on panel surface and deaden the entire panel if you have enough.
To fit 6x9's here is alot of cutting is involved and you still only have a 6" hole on the plastic trim. HARD WORK DON"T PUT EM HERE!

OPTION # 2

On the rear of the car where you have the carpet going around the little boot light..... You can mount 6x9"s there with a little bit of work.
I just marked out on the carpet and cut out 6x9 holes. Cut out panels to mount 6x9's onto. got some right angle brackets from bunnings and mounted panel vertically behind carpet into position. traced outhole for 6x9 and mounted speaker from the front through the carpet ... Looked like they were meant to be there and the extra room behind there helped with bass a little.
Things to remember
-Make panel go as far up, left,right, and to the floor as much as possible.
- I made 3 panels so looking from the top it was a bit like the letter C. The middle panel takes up the space under the boot light.
- Use AT LEAST 10mm or above to mount speakers.
- Use sound deadening around the panels to seal gaps against the metal frame. if sealed properly you get so much more bass and quality.

Has anyone done this or have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!
The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together.

DKWW2000

Re: Rear Speakers!

Post by DKWW2000 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:37 pm

Just fitted a pair of these with no problems & reasonable sound quality :P

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170952092672? ... X%3AIT[url][/url]
RX7 FB S3 - RX7 FC TII Vert
Rotaries Previously Owned:-
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander

DeanRX7

Post by DeanRX7 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:58 pm

Was the size a straight swap? Would you have had to make a cut for anything bigger?
The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together.

DKWW2000

Post by DKWW2000 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:38 pm

No Messing at all, fixed straight in without any adapting, used the same screws, even wiring connectors the same size.
Did not need the covers they came with :D
RX7 FB S3 - RX7 FC TII Vert
Rotaries Previously Owned:-
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander

User Banned

Post by User Banned » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:36 am

Yes 6.5" speakers fit in factory location under the plastics with no mods, but maybe stick a ruler in there and bring your ruler with you to the speaker shop to make sure the magnets wont foul on anything.
But in my opinion it may be preferable to disable the tweeters (or just run woofers in other words) and filter out the high frequencies to the rears if the head unit allows you to do so and you are running nice front speakers. The 1st gen rx7s are notorious to be able to get decent sound out of the standard speaker locations. In an ideal world you would simply put a nice pair of 6" splits up front (which means cutting holes) no rears and a nice sub in the boot and have perfect sound but alas, not every one wants to cut holes or mount wanko speaker pods on the doors. :?

Casey

Post by Casey » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:14 pm

Looking to replace both my rear speakers, whilst the rear side trims are out to sort out my shocks. The foam cone surrounds have completely disappeared - no great surprise, given their age. However, I'm confused as to what size speakers I need :?

This thread starts off suggesting 6-6.5" speakers, yet I just measured the aperture and it measures just 5"?

On the other hand, the speaker I took out says "16cm woofer"; 16cm is about 6.3". Yet the maximum overall diameter of the old speaker is 15.7cm and the speaker "cone" itself is no more than 13cm :?

Is it normal to exaggerate the length, sorry, diameter ;) :D of speakers in this way :D

I saw these 6.5" JBL speakers on Amazon at a reasonable price (I'm not after the ultimate in sound quality!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... ROKL5A1OLE

They are 4ohm and 50W RMS, so seem technically OK, but I eventually found the dimension data which stated the aperture required is 5 and 5/8 inches, so too big.

Pete's post above with an ebay link looked hopeful, but the item on that link is no longer listed.

Can anyone recommend a pair of speakers that will definately fit? I'm happy to resolder the connectors if required, but I don't want to go hacking at the car bodywork :o
KIMI 1 : RX-7 1st Gen "hybrid"; 1983 S2 running gear in a 1985 S3 shell, SORN'd, long term resto project
KIMI 2 : RX-7 1st Gen; 1983 S2, "identical" twin to KIMI 1, on the road :-)
Plus a 2004 Full Bridgeported RX-8 too!

myatt1972

Post by myatt1972 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:04 pm

6.5's should be fine, all I had to do was cut some rings out of 10mm mdf to bring the speaker out a bit, still room to get the original plastic covers back on.
Keith...

KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:46 am

Standard fitment is 4" fronts and 5.25" rears.
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate AMG

kenwhiteside

Post by kenwhiteside » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:08 pm

Fitted 6.5" into the back of mine. I needed spacers to allow the speaker to clear the factory hole. You can get pre cut mdf spacers for a couple of pounds from eBay. Sealed up all the holes and added some more sound deadening. Sounds better but still not massive bass.

Casey

Post by Casey » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:55 pm

After a lot of pondering I settled on a pair of Pioneer TS-G1333I speakers, just £27.50 delivered from Amazon. They have a 13 cm cone, so slightly smaller, but the overall physical dimensions looked good. The speaker spec was similar; 4 ohm, 35W nominal power, 3 way type). Got them yesterday and fitted them today and it turned out to be a doddle!

The 4 screw holes lined up with those already on the car, and the new self tappers supplied with the speakers were perfect. The electrical spade connectors were also identical. Here's the driver's side fitted;

Passenger side, with the mesh clipped back on to provide extra protection;

The sound is fine - nothing spectacular, but good enough, given the poor mounting enclosure.

Certainly better then the originals, with perished foam :shock:
KIMI 1 : RX-7 1st Gen "hybrid"; 1983 S2 running gear in a 1985 S3 shell, SORN'd, long term resto project
KIMI 2 : RX-7 1st Gen; 1983 S2, "identical" twin to KIMI 1, on the road :-)
Plus a 2004 Full Bridgeported RX-8 too!