Window switches

Anything related to the cars electrics... problems.... mods... fixes etc
KiwiDave

Re: Window switches

Post by KiwiDave » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:42 pm

Well, I won a window switch on EBay some time ago. Arrived from the US and got around to swapping it out today. I really should have looked at mine first :( UK spec is each switch with it's own plug (right), US spec for 84/85 is two switches into a single plug.(left) FECK. That, plus the US switch housing is smaller so won't fit our console. FECK , ARSE.

And the plugs are different too :roll: So that was a waste of time then :evil:

So, option two was taking my old switch apart and cleaning it out. Which is surprisingly easy and most satisfying once everything is back together. th:

As has been suggested before, take the switch apart from the bottom. Carefully insert a small bladed screwdriver just enough to release the tongs. Keep the assembly horizontal and pull the top and bottom apart SLOWLY. You may want to mark one face as it only completely re assembles one way. It's easy to waste time trying to figure out why it won't fit back together properly!

This is underneath the rocker switch. It has two plastic columns with a spring each inside and a tiny roller which glides on the contacts. Dust is your friend here as it mixes with the grease and will probably prevent the springs launching the rollers into a sub stratospheric orbit. (disclaimer ... actual results may vary).

The columns with springs

Tiny rollers

Columns with rollers mounted

These are the contacts. All covered in dust and crud. Nice!

The contacts lift out to reveal more crud

Cotton buds are useful for cleaning and reaching into cavities.

About to be reunited

It all works too yay Just be careful and it's an easy job. I'm doing the driver's side tonight :)
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate AMG

KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:26 pm

The driver's side switch was much cleaner inside :o so everything spring loaded (the columns and roller wheels on top) was very eager to part company. Just needed to be careful (slowly, slowly) when separating the switch assembly.

Top tip for reassembly. The switch has writing on one side. Take a note of the wiring color on that same side and you'll reassemble everything correctly first time. th:
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:11 am

D'oh!

Never assume parts from a LHD series 3 are the same as RHD. They got the complete interior update plus plenty of other changes. I've learnt that lesson myself.

When sourcing parts from the US, their series 2 (81-83), in particular the GSL grade, are often more similar to our RHD series 3.

The carbon problem is because the switch is actually handling the entire current load whenever the windows operate. To prevent this happening again, you can wire in relays, so that all the switch is doing is transferring the current necessary to trip the relay. The relay then handles the current from battery to window motor. ;)

Instructions on this modification are here: http://wright-here.net/cars/rx7/mods/power_windows.html

spirit r

Post by spirit r » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:45 pm

KiwiDave wrote:Well, I won a window switch on EBay some time ago. Arrived from the US and got around to swapping it out today. I really should have looked at mine first :( UK spec is each switch with it's own plug (right), US spec for 84/85 is two switches into a single plug.(left) FECK. That, plus the US switch housing is smaller so won't fit our console.
Us spec for 84/85 switches are the same as my german spec 84 car switches. They are only built for the last LHD seven fb, Dave

KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:32 pm

spirit r wrote:
KiwiDave wrote:Well, I won a window switch on EBay some time ago. Arrived from the US and got around to swapping it out today. I really should have looked at mine first :( UK spec is each switch with it's own plug (right), US spec for 84/85 is two switches into a single plug.(left) FECK. That, plus the US switch housing is smaller so won't fit our console.
Us spec for 84/85 switches are the same as my german spec 84 car switches. They are only built for the last LHD seven fb, Dave
Well, it might be listed on EBay.de quite soon then ;)
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR

Casey

Post by Casey » Thu May 04, 2017 5:14 pm

My driver side window stuck in the fully down position this morning :( Thankfully it wasn't raining and I was only a few miles from home. I know the switches have been noted as becoming intermittent so I found this thread on a search. Many thanks to those who have trodden this path before me and posted above, as reading through this thread made the job soooo much easier. 45 minutes later and both switches out, dismantled, cleaned, back in and tested fine yay

Some pics for the record (4 cotton buds gave up their lives for the success of this mission :D )

KIMI 1 : RX-7 1st Gen "hybrid"; 1983 S2 running gear in a 1985 S3 shell, SORN'd, long term resto project
KIMI 2 : RX-7 1st Gen; 1983 S2, "identical" twin to KIMI 1, on the road :-)
Plus a 2004 Full Bridgeported RX-8 too!

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Thu May 04, 2017 8:37 pm

Looking good Casey. Reminds me that I still need to do that write-up for window relays haha.