Oil metering pipes draining back

Photos * technical info * cars for sale * parts for sale * plus company info including the history of the RX7 Elford Turbo

Oil metering pipes draining back

Post by iankd » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:01 am

Just wondering if anyone with the Elford turbo has noticed that the oil metering lines drain back whilst standing, I ran it again this morning and after 6 hours of standing the lines are going clear from the top down.

Re: Oil metering pipes draining back

Post by DB RX63 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:20 pm

Cant say that I have noticed, but I will have a look next time it gets a run out.
Met Blue Series 2 Elford Turbo
S3 Rally Car (under Construction - Still !)

Re: Oil metering pipes draining back

Post by KYPREO » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:11 am

Sorry for this extremely late reply, but oil is definitely meant to stay in the lines. This is accomplished through capillery action by keeping the internal diameter of the OMP lines very small.

If the oil is draining oil this suggests a leak/crack or at some point the lines were replaced with something non-standard. Did they replace them with something else with the Elford? I have no idea!

There is a good topic here describing how to source OEM-like replacement: http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=184799
Clear high temperature teflon tubing with small internal diameter is what you want.

PS I'm in Melbourne too. Never knew there were any Elfords here! Very cool.

Return to “The RX7 Elford Turbo Section”